FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who? said:
Hi Alistair, looks like you have been busy!

I promised you a pic of the trim over the door ages ago and then it took me ages to get back down the lock up...sorry dude.

Anyhow, bank holiday weekend was good to me so I managed to get up to date with work should be getting down workshop more often now...probably too late now though, have you have sorted it!!?

Hi m8!

No worries, I struggled trying to fit the strip, really couldnt get it to fit - gave up and fitted the surround seal instead. May just glue it where it should be - another day on that one :roll:
Working on the van today, so may get a few more things fitted, sorted.

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
who? said:
Hi Alistair, looks like you have been busy!

I promised you a pic of the trim over the door ages ago and then it took me ages to get back down the lock up...sorry dude.

Anyhow, bank holiday weekend was good to me so I managed to get up to date with work should be getting down workshop more often now...probably too late now though, have you have sorted it!!?

Hi m8!

No worries, I struggled trying to fit the strip, really couldnt get it to fit - gave up and fitted the surround seal instead. May just glue it where it should be - another day on that one :roll:
Working on the van today, so may get a few more things fitted, sorted.

Cheers!

Alistair

I will try to take some helpful pics this weekend then!!

Regards

Matt

Hi!

You know you were saying about the strip? Well i found another one tucked away in the roof space which look just the same length and style - but more important, thinner, where the wood goes over it, which would probably explain the trouble i had fitting the other one. Will clean it up and have another go. Wonder if the Westy one is thinner because of the wood, rather than the thicker one for a deluxe?
Will post up a pic sometime of the differences.

Anyway, fitted a new engine surround rubber. What a nightmare! Really tricky to fit, kept popping out of the groove. Eventually sorted with a little silicon grease and working a bit at a time, watching for it popping out at the corners.

Also fitted some new alloy finned rocker covers, as the old ones were all rusted. Took some pics the heads, in case i need to refer to any numbers. Anyone know what the numbers mean?

Found the thermostat - dunno if it's connected or working though, is it just a matter of removing the H/E tinware underneath to see what's what?

Jacked up the back end to give me more space to change the covers - heard a twang thud as i walked away, thought it was my trolley jack, so jacked it up a little more, then noticed that the rocker cover looked a little high - as it would when the engine mounting rubber had just broken and the engine was sitting at a interesting angle to say the least............ :roll:

Took me ages to get it to sit pack down, as the moustache bar had managed to get wedged into the chassis rails.... :evil:

And it all started out with just a simple job like changing the rocker covers.........now need engine mountings, And they were a right :evil: when i removed the engine a while ago.
Is there a knack to fitting new rubbers please?

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

Cheers!!

Hi Alistair...things are never simple...but I don't need to tell you that!

Took some photo's on Sunday, hope they are of some help. The trim is thinner on the side that slips between the frame and head lining I am sure.
update010.jpg

update012.jpg

Let me know if that are any use.

Matt

Hi!

A few bits today, fixed the leaking rocker covers i think, new mesh for the westy windows, fixed the plastic strip on the sliding door in the inside of the van, cleaned up the floor a bit. Still a bit warn and scratched but not too bad....hopefully, new carb tomorrow...........maybe the rear bumper overiders too???

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Hi,

I love your front coco floormat.
I'm still searching for that plastic strip above the slider door.
But first i have build a new engine!

aogrady said:

Was your engine hot? it looks like the thermostat is extended in the above pic (it should be if the engine is hot).
if the engine is cold then it might have failed open - which isnt the end of the world but will mean your engine will take longer to warm up.
Or it could just be the angle of the picture ??

Dirty Harry said:
Hi,

I love your front coco floormat.
I'm still searching for that plastic strip above the slider door.
But first i have build a new engine!

Hi DH,

Thanks! Still have the OG rubber mat underneath, as it's in reasonable condition, and perhaps quieten things down a bit with both.....Though i do need the rubber boots that go around the pedals, as you can see daylight as mine are missing.

I have a plastic strip for sale if you want one - though i dont think it's a westy one, think it may be a deluxe one - as it seems a little too thick to fit with the westy wood? At least i couldn't get it to fit anyway!

Would love a new engine in mine, nice twin carbs etc, but not got the spare funds at the mo, one day - it'll be in there, but for the time being.........

Cheers

Alistair

Loxy said:
aogrady said:

Was your engine hot? it looks like the thermostat is extended in the above pic (it should be if the engine is hot).
if the engine is cold then it might have failed open - which isnt the end of the world but will mean your engine will take longer to warm up.
Or it could just be the angle of the picture ??

Hi Loxy,

Hmm, no the engine was stone cold - i only took the pic as i had the coverss off, and to be honest, i didn't think there was a thermostat fitted, so i bought a spare one of another forum member. Can i test it with a hairdryer in situ? So when the engine is hot, i thought it expands open is that not the case, i though mine looked closed - could be the angle though as you say. If i take off the under neath tin can i see the rest of the mechanism working? I dont have the OG filter as the PO had chopped off the stand to fit twin carbs. I have a new air filter stand and filter to go back on some tin.
Though it is a AE bug engine, and i think the tinware is wrong anyway, but would like to know if the stat and associated gubbins is working as is should.......

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi!

Well, new carb fitted, it's the Mexican equivalent of the Solex 34 PICT 3, it's a Brosal. Little use on it, so on it went. First problem was that the choke spindle was catching on the alternator, so out with the grinder to shave off a few mm off the casing. No problem now, and would fit no problem on a stock dynamo set up.

Little bit of setting up to do yet, found the dizzy timing was out, so need to get a timing gun, and a colourtune as i have only set up the lot by ear. My old spare carbs are for sale on my thread below.

Must admit the biggest change was to the timing of the dizzy, no more flat spot, and pulls stronger now - also the intake noise sounds more grrr if that makes sense!

Just a little bit of fettling to mixture and timing, and we are good to go!

New one:

DSC00241.jpg

You can see where it needed shaving tricky to get the grinder in without gouging it up.

DSC00240.jpg

Old V New

DSC00239.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair

The thermostat should be compressed when cold & expanded when hot - easiest way is to drop it into boiling water - it should start expanding. If there is a gap between the top of the thermostat bellows & the top edge of the bracket that it bolts onto then it is compressed & is probably ok.
If you do remove it to check it you should be able to move the rod its threaded onto up & feel the flaps moving in the fanhousing - alternatively if its a bit stiff doing it this way you can reach around to the front of the fanhousing & move the linkage by hand.

Hi!

More work, fitted some rear bumper overiders, bit ratty, so will paint, and the rubbers are a bit manky too, but i think look cool, especially once i paint them

DSC00280.jpg

Tidied up the original kick panels, the plastic finish had long since come unstuck, so did a similar finish as was done on the roof. Ran out of material, so a few black bits to cover, but better than the plain manky black.

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00253.jpg
DSC00265.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

Tweaked the carb a little in anticipation of the colourtune and timing gun from rbay to set up properly. Also noticed the rocker covers leaking again, so will see if i can get some better quality gaskets, or end up using a thin silicon bead which i didn't want to do.... :roll:

Cheers!

Alistair

Hey bro, your ride is looking sweet, I'm loving the surf collage theme. Very original, keep it up! You diggin some nice weather where you are at to go on some cruises? I've been waiting on the rain to taper off the last couple of weeks since getting back from my honeymoon in San Francisco, I WANT TO GO CAMPING!

Peace,

cher5

Cker5 said:
Hey bro, your ride is looking sweet, I'm loving the surf collage theme. Very original, keep it up! You diggin some nice weather where you are at to go on some cruises? I've been waiting on the rain to taper off the last couple of weeks since getting back from my honeymoon in San Francisco, I WANT TO GO CAMPING!

Peace,

cher5

Hi dude!

Thanks for that - need to finish a few areas on the kick panels - but it's about there. Did you notice the Sex Pistols? Keeping it real - late 70's style! ;)

I have sold my curtains, got another idea lined up, hopefully fitted before the weekend, hopefully going away.....some some more of the sisal natural flooring to cut and trim to cover the westy floor in the back - and to contrast with the front fingers crossed. Should have enough to do the rear, and also the walkthrough.

Weather been really nice lately (for the UK anyway) but not been able to get away much to be honest, still take little trips out places as and when.

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi!

Been busy over the weekend, fixed the rocker leak hopefully, cleaned the seats up - look mint now, fitted new carpet and took out the sink unit for a mooch inside the belly pans. Aside from 40 years of fluff and whatever, no loose rust or holes, and seems pretty very solid, though really need to underseal and waxoil the bus.

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

New sisal carpet, got a deal on a off cut, for a fraction of the price of a edged mat from madmatz, so looks pretty good. Left the westy floor underneath, had a look under the floor as much as i good, and all looks perfect everywhere. Will lift the whole lot out another day for soundproofing etc.

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

Also fitted a NOS 8 track stereo, need to re-do the wiring to the ipod gubbins and CD.

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

Also fitted some 6x9" speakers into some boxes for fitting behind the seats. I already had these, so put them to use, thought the drivers side fit a little snug, i can't fit the passenger one behind the seat, so Linda has a useful "foot rest" till i find somewhere else to stick them. :roll: Sounds better than the old Ford parcel shelfs ones that were chucked behind the seats when i got the van.
There is plenty of cable fitted, so can be moved outside of the van when camping. Might even fit some rails so they can be mounted on the roof guttering, but not sure about that one.....

Cheers!

Alistair

Robb said:
where did you get the sisel matting from?

Hi!

Took me bloody ages of searching around, went to every single carpet place around home, and eventually found this place on ebay, selling all sorts of other stuff, inc sisal carpet.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/All-In-MyShop_Sisal-Carpet_W0QQ_fsubZ867185018QQ_sidZ134382888QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi!

More updates, been busy with the new blinds - natural bamboo, but trimmed down to fit the bus windows. Tried to use the original holes or fixings, as i hate drilling any thing extra. Fixed them to the original Westy curtain rails which was handy. As the blinds were originally 160cm drop, there was a lot of trimming needed, and refitting the bamboo poles to the base. Used the off cuts to good use for the bit behind the wardrobe window, and a large piece for the center between the seats - as i felt that fitting some blinds on the fronts doors would probably get in the way of my head.

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts