Fuel lines set up.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. What set up do you have for your fuel lines ? I did a check on mine a short time ago and some of it is copper but the bends etc are jae30 tubing and to be honest its rubbish and they have perished badly already and i only replaced with new 13 months ago. Just thinking what to do so its all good for a good deal of time and kep it safe. Also how have you plumbed yours in from tank to engine and where have you put your fuel filter ? mine is to me just a mess. I got the engine and gearbox out at the moment because im having the gearbox refurbished and engine is having a little spruce up too to so its easy access at the moment. This is on a 68. Cheers.

Gates seems to be the one that most recommend for the fuel pipes. I don’t think you have too much going on with the fuel tank breathers on a 68 but have a good look around because someone may have changed it, also worth a good stare at the filler while you have reasonable access without the motor in the way. A lot of peeps say to put the filter up by the gearbox just under the tank, some say it’ll stay out of sight and out of mind and may become an issue because it’s out of sight, so that’s both sides of it, if you change or check your lines fairly frequently then I’d keep it in view however there’s good points to both sides to this two sided debate. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,someone will come along to support the other side now :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Gates Barricade is only available in imperial sizes, and the 1/4" id is too big for single carb use at 6.25mm id. However the 5/16" id is perfect for twin carbs at 8mm id.
You need 5.5mm id fuel line for a single carb set up so try;
Graham at Midland Early Bay
https://midlandearlybay.bigcartel.com/product/ethanol-resistant-fuel-line-kits

or

https://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/Fuel-Hose-Kit---Full-details.html

or

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-22400400-2015-p.asp

Fitting a fuel cut-off solenoid under the tank with the fuel filter is a good idea as well.

+1 for the fuel cut off solenoid. This stops fuel emptying into engine bay by gravity, when the ignition is off. Got mine from Aircooledworks with the kunifer pipe through the bulkhead to the mech pump inlet.
So filter first then solenoid then either the 100% ethanol proof pipe or kunifer pipe through the bulkhead. If you have a really clean fuel tank you may not need a plastic filter if your solenoid has one, but the plastic one makes it easy to see how dirty it is and are cheap to change every year or so depending on mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers all for the replies 👍😊. Food for thought. What would you all go for if you were buying right now for your buses ?

Latest posts