Fuel pump pedestal cracked?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkp

Reaction score
Hi all

Today in the process of fitting twin carbs I removed the fuel pump to get easier access to mount the throttle linkage. When I looked at the pump pedestal I didn’t like what I saw IMG_2181.jpeg

Now my question is: if a piece of that is floating around in my crank case how worried should I be? Getting in there clearly isn’t an easy job…being plastic I guess that’s somewhat better than a piece of metal floating around but still. Feeling nervous as hell now.

Advice? Thoughts? My excitement about the new carb setup has been severely sapped with this find :(

Thanks for any thoughts folks

Last edited:
It should be fine, I've seen them in a few bits and the engine stills run well.
That’s good to hear! I was pretty surprised to find that there could even be a part that could easily become brittle and break in such a crucial location tbh. Should I bother with a replacement? It’s just got that little chip off the bottom but otherwise looked good.

If you’re gonna get all excited about it or worry in a crazy way, but that part is still probably better than any modern replacement. Again, don’t go crazy tightening it up as they’re fairly easily cracked. Mines cracked because I got a bit heavy handed with it and if you had ten motors in a row I’m willing to bet that two or three would be cracked if not more. Bet you’ll find that piece one oil change in your strainer.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, twin carbs for the win. :)

Mine did the same when I was doing the seals recently. It was broken further up (probably been like that for a while) and I managed to retrieve the lower section using a M10 tap. The replacement I had wasn’t bakolite but seemed fairly decent (time will tell) I found a few fragments of bakolite when I dropped the oil soon after.

Latest posts