fuel sender - electrical help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground hugger

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Seeing as its pissing it down :( I decided to look at my fuel sender,its not been working right for a few weeks.
Removed it ,taken it apart and straight away spotted whats wrong with it :D there's a central shaft that the float runs up and down on,and either side of this is a wire that connects/runs on the float......Any way its not been running on the wire correctly and causing the reading to be all over the place.
So I went to put the wire back where it should be and snapped it :x

float.jpg

Question is...I can replace/solder a new wire back on ( I hate throwing things away if they can be mended and I can save money )...but is it critical as to what wire is used and does any electrical gurus know please...Dave

I think it is special wire cos it must have a resistance in it for the reading to change as float moves ,and it does break very easy :shock: most common fault that I have found is corrosion on earth rivet solved by drilling a small hole in top and feeding a wire down and soldier it to brass strip.

I spent ages trying to sort my sender and simply ended up having to buy a new one.

sparkywig said:
It'll probably be easier to change the complete unit.
I was expecting this answer :( but praying someone would say yes easy fix just get yourself some 0.5mm 10amp 30 ohms resistant wire of eBay ,it's only 99p with free delivery :lol:
Should have left it alone ,at least I knew it had some fuel in it...Cheers guys thanks for your help...Dave

mr scoops said:
I spent ages trying to sort my sender and simply ended up having to buy a new one.
Looks like I'm going to do the same,Could have done without the expence though :( ....Dave

I bought 2 or 3 used ones before conceding.
One of which was from a dude on here who did give me a refund....fair do's.

I had a problem where my sender was dead. not a broken wire, just crudded up but this guy had the answer - http://www.kampaman.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; follow links to jobs
He replaced wire with fuse wire.
Like him I made a mess of my bulkhead trying to get to the sender and spent more time cutting a shitty hole than it would have taken to pull the engine (which i ended up doing about a month later to weld in seatbelt mounts) non-the-less the advice on sender repair was top.

:D I'll try that thanks for the link,haven't got round to buying one yet so I'll give it a go.
I'll keep you posted how it goes :D cheers.....Dave

Latest posts