Gah! Front panel fit...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofufi

Reaction score
Finally started welding the front panel onto my van....

CIMG7041.jpg

Got 1/4 of the spotwelds done, and then I started folding over the edges on the A pillars. All went well, got them folded over neatly.

All was fine until I went to fit the doors...

gap the size of a little finger :

CIMG7048.jpg

slightly better the other side:

CIMG7045.jpg

Anybody got any suggestions of how to fix?

I'm out of ideas short of lengthening the doors :lol:

Having looked back at old pics, the passenger side hasn't got a lot worse I think.
CIMG6102.jpg

The drivers side has definitely worsened though. (old pics)

CIMG6359.jpg

:(

This picture helps illustrate the problem:

CIMG7050.jpg

Not to mention half the swage line practically lines up, the other half is nowhere near...

I'm wondering if the 'a' post has twisted.
Especially as you re-newed the arches and there wasn't much holding it behind the front panel....ie new inner panels fittted.

:cry:

I renewed the drivers side arch only, and that was before removing the front end.

Still reckon that could have caused the problem?

I reckon I'm gonna have to take it all apart again and use some brute force on it. :(

Isn't that the drivers side with the big gap tho... :?:

Was the panel a nice easy fit? I only ask that cos' when I got mine I was told you have to stretch the panel over the 'a' post lip...two man job.

Is there any way of measuring the "a post angle to body" on the good side and then reference that to the bad side before un-doing all that graft.

i think the edge that the front clips over has bent while you were fitting the front, they are an absolute pig to fit over the edge.
maybe if you take the door off get a slide hammer with a flat hook inside the front panel and try to pull it back towards the B post. any pressure you put on the front will dent the front panal and you cant remove it as you have started welding.
take your time as its gonna be a bit of a bastard.
good luck

Yup, the drivers side was the side I replaced the arch on.

Think you are right about the A pillar pulling away.

Don't know if you can see the difference in gap between:

CIMG7051.jpg

and
CIMG7052.jpg

It certainly wasn't a 2 man job to stretch the front panel over.

More a simple push and it was in place. The passenger side gap is now fine due to a bit of door adjustment.

I'm going to remove all the spotwelds, take it off and try again.

looks like the A pillars need a couple of seams to strengthen them up.
there should be that gap where they join.

slammedkustom said:

Do you mean shouldn't? 8)

Seaming them is the plan. Then maybe a good knocking with a hammer to get them perfectly in place.

I've just cut off the front panel (removed all my spotwelds) so I should be able to start it all again soon.

Got the front panel off ;)

Now to seam the pillars.

It's useful having the laptop in th garden :D

Although, it keeps on raining every 5 minutes so I'm in and out of the fucking garage all the time (with the van, welder etc following me!)

Not a happy bunny :(

Ah the weathers no better in Bissol then.....

Trying to sort my bike out for sale and one moment its shorts and tee then its thermals followed by rain just missing the snow....there I've gone and said it doh!!!!

Not had snow yet!

Seamed up the drivers side A pillar and bashed it a lot with a hammer. Given a few choice words it eventually goes reasonably close to the door.

Drivers:

CIMG7054.jpg

Passenger:

CIMG7053.jpg

Now to clean up the mess I made when removing my old spotwelds and then start again.

I'm almost back to where I started this morning. Glad I'm going out tonight otherwise I'd be really sulky tomorrow :lol:

Tofufi said:
slammedkustom said:

Do you mean shouldn't? 8)

Seaming them is the plan. Then maybe a good knocking with a hammer to get them perfectly in place.

I've just cut off the front panel (removed all my spotwelds) so I should be able to start it all again soon.

err yes "shouldnt" :oops: you know what i meant :wink:

dont make the gap too tight, the metal, paint and primer will mean it will scrape. that gap looks too close to me.
take a break mate or it will go wrong, trust me :wink:

Cheers dude,

Reckon it should be alright now ;)

The gaps might look a bit smaller in the pictures. I'm sure it'll be easier to adjust the other way than making the gaps smaller anyway :)

I'll have a go at it tomorra, so stand by to give me more advice ;) (I hope it won't be needed :lol: )

Thanks to everyone on this thread for cheering me up today 8)

I think you are doing a cracking job there mate and i'm sure the perseverence will pay off in the end. I have got to do exactly the same to my bus this winter and i'm not looking forward to it believe me. I think my A posts are corroded too so i must try not to make the same mistake. I'm sure i'll be asking you for advice in the near future. :D

Feel free to ask my advice dude, dunno how useful I'll be!

Just a bit peed off as I've now got only 3 days worth of work to make this boat roadworthy again.

That's 3 days to attach the front panel, lower front panel, fit windscreen, lights + wire them all up. Rustproof all my recent repairs, filler and paint them. Fit rear valence and tinwear parts, fit doors etc. Clean it up and service it.

More to the point, does anyone have any tips for how to do it right?

Folds the lips over first with it only clamped into place, then weld the rest? Or weld the rest then fold the lips over?

Ta :)

IMHO always welding last.

Get it lined up, clamped, check the fit. Fold the edges as it will stretch the panel tight across the spot welded seams.
Check the fit again.....measure twice cut once an' all that.

Tack it in place quick recheck of the fit and then weld the sucker home.

Concourse bus.....done :D

Latest posts