Garage door ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbilling776

Reaction score
So... I have my campervan arriving in a few weeks and I know it will fit in my garage - only thing is, is that I have an up and over door, which will mean that I can't shut the garage door.

Now, I know could get a roller door or similar, but I am now skint!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to adapt?

I was thinking about hinging the existing door at the top, so it opened like a normal door, just up the way - however, I know that I would need some form of legs to hold it up when I wanted to go in or out.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance

Roger

Barn doors are pretty cheap and easy to fit, if your on a budget search on eBay, there's some people on there that will make them to your size.

Thanks, problem is that the driveway is 2 inches higher than the garage floor, so barn doors would either hit the driveway or have a gap under them! :-(

Bigbear said:
Barn doors are pretty cheap and easy to fit, if your on a budget search on eBay, there's some people on there that will make them to your size.

Yeah, good call. Off the shelf at Howdens.

https://www.howdens.com/doors-joinery-collection/external-doors/garage-doors/softwood-fl-b/

You can use lifting hinges to compensate for the drive usually. They are based on a shaped pivot, to lift the door up when opened - depends on height required though, as only work to a certain lift

You can get different types of up and over door.

The ones on my garage open out a lot more than most, and barely encroach on the space inside the garage. I can park my bus with the nose 6" from the closed door, and the door opens without touching the bus :)

The one on my parents garage moves differently and encroaches a lot more into the garage...

Tofufi said:

The ones on my garage open out a lot more than most, and barely encroach on the space inside the garage. I can park my bus with the nose 6" from the closed door, and the door opens without touching the bus :)

The one on my parents garage moves differently and encroaches a lot more into the garage...

A sectional up and over is better like you say. But usually dearer though.

I had exactly the same problem, and a carpenter mate suggested just changing the existing up and over door to a side hinging door, and it worked perfectly, using the original metal door. Okay, not the prettiest soln possibly, but I have a garage in a block rather than next to my house, so it didn't really affect the local aesthetics. Being able to remove the whole up-and-over frame I created the extra few inches of height required to get a Devon poptop in.

Also remove the wodden batten at the top, which meant raising the door by the same amount, 3" or so, and I just attached a length of cutoff lino to the bottom to seal the gap at the bottom. (This might solve your problem about driveway being higher than garage floor.) Three (or 4) strong hinges on the side, and then a couple of strong padlocks. Practical if not pretty, and very cheap and quick to achieve. And still operating now 12 years later!

Good luck.

Will it definately not fit? My van fits in my house garage with an up and over door (well it would if the garage wasnt full of stuff) ... if the garage is long enough, you can push it forward enough for the door to clear.

Steve B said:
Tofufi said:

A sectional up and over is better like you say. But usually dearer though.

Mine isn't sectional, it's just got a different hinge arrangement that swings the door out much more than most :)

I had the same problem, when I first bought the van I had to let the tyres down to close the door! good excuse to lower it ;) I have seen up and over doors converted to side hinge, have you tried the van in there yet? depending on how deep the garage is, if you park right at the back of the garage, you may be able to close the door.

I converted mine to tall side hinged doors, now I can drive it in and out with the roof rack on :)

Thanks for all the advice, it has really helped. Pick up the van some point next week hopefully, then I will have a try and make a decision!

Thanks again

Roger

"Same Problem" i let the tyres down enough to get under the door, drive in then pump them up again with my small compressor not ideal but better than messing around with the door

Barn doors are the way forward
You could always put 2 inch brush on the bottem of the doors to seal the gap
and every time you open the doors you also sweep the drive haha

I had to build a small ramp into my garage due to my drive being on an incline. I used cold pour tarmac, it worked well.

AxlFoley said:
I had to build a small ramp into my garage due to my drive being on an incline. I used cold pour tarmac, it worked well.

Thanks, that would help with the current drop.

I had same prob I bought steel barndoor garador I think, raised the garage door lintel hung the new door and hey presto!! Sold the old door for a few quid on ebay

Good luck with yours

Perhaps you should first try to put the van in and close the up and over door. I park my van pretty close to the door and it doesn't hit the van as it moves outwards and up really, so it might work with the current door. I have to say it surprises me sometimes that it doesn't hit the van, but in my case it works.

I found cheapest/easiest option was to buy a shed to put the stuff from the back of the garage into, only need to park 60cm in from the door to get sufficient clearance

Latest posts