Garden Find RHD C/O Devon - Lots of Pictures

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greentoad

Reaction score
Hi all

I have finally managed to take ownership of a 1972, RHD K Registration Low Light CO after seeing it nearly two years ago. It took ages to find the owner and I could only see the back end of the vehicle so had to take a bit of a gamble.

It was new in 1972 and then had the same owner till his death until 2000. It was given to the person I bought it from. It was parked up outside in 2001 and has not moved since.

It is in excellent condition considering the climate (UK) and also that it had trees growing around it and the time it has been left un-loved and outside. The shell and windows and white paint are covered in green slime and black marks, but rust is pretty much non-existant.

The keys have been lost and it was locked so I cut the N/S sliding door rubber and took the window out. I then got inside after having a breath of fresh air (the musty smell was amazing).

I managed to unlock the two front doors and was amazed of the interior condition, plus also checked under mats etc.

The vehicle has a sunroof in in the front cab and looks very old (any ideas who could of doen this?). The material has rotted so I will make a tempoary cover asap.

The vehicle also has a wooden interior of little cupboard in the O/S rear 1/4 and then has a table stored above the engine bay in the roof. The wooden seats all fold flat and make a bed, but there is no cooker, sink etc, so a basic bus then bed.

I have not really had time to go over it properly but think it is a Type 22. It also has Motor Caravan on the V5 so must of been a factory build when new?

I also have a fully stamped Service Book from 1972, with stamps by Long Bros Motors (Exeter - Devon), and Swallowdale Motor Co (Seaton - Devon).

Could you offer me any insight into finding out who did the conversion and sunroof.

I would also appreciate any advice of how to unlock the sliding door and also rear tailgate as these have no levers inside. Plus any help in how to get keys etc inclduing for the ignition.

I used to take barrels out years ago and swap pins etc, but is there an easier way?

Thanks for reading, I'm really exicted about a new project I just need to be able to get inside and have a good look around and also secure it, so locks are a priority.

Cheers,

J.

If you take one of the locks out,assuming it's all on the same key you should be able to read a code off of it (stamped near the barrel area) and get one cut.Easiest would be one of the door handles if they're original.

Get up some picstures too 8)

IF you take the door card or the boot lid there should be a catch you can pull to open it up.

Get some pictures up dude

Theres a small catch on the inside of the sliding door by the handle which should unlock it, im not near my van so cant try it and let you know.
Araon on here is pretty well clued up on locks and keys so should be able to help you out.
Sounds like a very interesting find, some pics would be good ;)

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I have started to upload some pictures and will post on here asap.

I have got the Code, could anyone decipher please.

--------------------------

22 086 069 E

060660 A41 191 213 543

51 1 7829 EN 2240 11

--------------------------

Sticker next to M Code - Pastellweib L 90 D.

The catch on the sliding door does not move. I presume this is because it was locked with Keys?

Thanks again, and all help is very much appreciated.

J.

info from here...http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 224(0) - Micro bus, 8 seater, sliding door left, RHD
Chassis number 2222086069
Serial number 086 069
Modelyear 1972
Production date
Monday, 13 December 1971
Type of engine Type 1 (AD) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color Color upper part :
Color lower part :
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) II - *** Unknown ***
Destination England

Locks/keys - Checked mine recently as key had broken, after advice from Justin at C&C. Undo the grub screw on the sliding door handle, the outer handle then pulls out. Stamped there should be the lock/key code, assuming the other locks will match. C&C can supply keys from code. Should start with an L or R from memory.

Stuck with trees growing around it -

SDC10109.jpg

SDC10110.jpg

SDC10113.jpg

Trees cleared -

SDC10116.jpg

SDC10119.jpg

SDC10122.jpg

SDC10123.jpg

Pulling it out with the Land Rover -

SDC10124.jpg

SDC10125.jpg

SDC10126.jpg

SDC10127.jpg

Out she comes -

SDC10128.jpg

SDC10129.jpg

SDC10130.jpg

SDC10132.jpg

SDC10133.jpg

SDC10134.jpg

J.

Great find!

That appears to be a Devon conversion, a 'Devonette' to be precise. The curtains look to be original too.

I don't know any details of the sunroof.

keep us posted on progress won't you. :D

It's a great find - if it's as good underneath as it is on top then you've done very well indeed 8)

Give it a wash and polish and see how it looks!

Have you said what you paid for it? (sorry if that sounds cheeky, but I'm sure I'm not the only forum member that would be interested :oops: ).

;)

Nah! shine it as best you can...........then slam it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love the interior, i'm looking for seats and doorcards the same, sweet. Keep us posted.

thats one awesome looking bus, looks in good condition, have you got a photo of the otherside of teh sun roof? just for curiosity! you may need a step ladder lol

Supa good find....... white with red interior.....soooooooo much potential, more pics please :)

The killer and completely nosey question is " how much did you pay?"

Looks a good base to start from (better than most of us started from) shame about the rear lights though :lol: :lol:
Any major plans or are you just going to use it as is?