Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 1776 with a stock box until about 18 months ago, it was fine really, and hardly ever needed to shift to 3rd on hills, the flyer does need 3rd more often due to the taller gearing. Went all the way to Newquay last weekend at at a real 70-75 ( reading like 85 on the Speedo) 200 miles and it seemed not to use any more fuel than when I've done it at 60 - about 35 litres so about 25 mpg.

Fascinating thread to read through.
I went 1776 with a Freeway Flyer.
Seems happy enough on the motorway!

With hind site think I overpaid. All from the VW Engine Company.
But I didn’t know then what I know now!!
Did you just buy the box or go for an install as well Ben72Bay. I have looked as some flier on vw air-cooled as would want an exchange unit as don’t want my bus of the road to long and having a ramp to get it out and in.

I had my 1776 with a stock box until about 18 months ago, it was fine really, and hardly ever needed to shift to 3rd on hills, the flyer does need 3rd more often due to the taller gearing. Went all the way to Newquay last weekend at at a real 70-75 ( reading like 85 on the Speedo) 200 miles and it seemed not to use any more fuel than when I've done it at 60 - about 35 litres so about 25 mpg.

Should have said, got mine from Rich Walklate, and it was an exchange.
Fallingoffalot, what sort of cost If you don’t mind me asking. Not desperate on a new box so a plan may be end of next year until I take a look.

You won’t go any faster, it will still only cruise at 60 due to the rpm. you’ll just get there quicker. Any reasonable increase in power warrants a longer box so you can keep up with modern traffic

One can also reduce engine revs at a given true road speed, by substituting larger diameter wheels & tyres. Some 16 inch wheels with 215/65 R16C tyres, will give about 5% reduction in engine revs and 215/70 R16C tyres would give considerably more. Both will give greater ground clearance for improved off-road capability!