Garden Find RHD C/O Devon - Lots of Pictures

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cleaning up very well indeed.Also looks surprisingly solid underneath,especially for a Uk bus.Well done. :D

Hi all

I've been away with the family and had a great break.

Enough rest though, so back on with the project. Today I spent another 6 hours on the Camper.

The time was spent cleaning the white paint inside with Finesse. I cleaned the door frames and shuts (hinged shuts still need gunk), and polished the sliding door step trim. I also finished hoovering under the benches and also cleaned the floor and stripped the n/s cab area. This was not an enjoyable job. The bulkhead was fithy and also the black cover under the seat was covered in grime and oil. It came up very well but I started to lose interest (I also have sore fingers) so left the right side for another day.

I have also found - 57 - stamped into the wood under the rear bench seat. Any ideas what this means? I have not found any other badges, markings etc though.

Some more pictures of how it is coming on are uploading.

J.

greentoad said:
I have also found - 57 - stamped into the wood under the rear bench seat. Any ideas what this means? I have not found any other badges, markings etc though.
J.

Made out of bean tin boxes? :lol:

Sorry :oops:

SDC10508.jpg

SDC10509.jpg

SDC10510.jpg

SDC10511.jpg

SDC10512.jpg

SDC10513.jpg

SDC10514.jpg

SDC11406.jpg

SDC11407.jpg

SDC11408.jpg

SDC11409.jpg

SDC11410.jpg

SDC11411.jpg

SDC11412.jpg

SDC11413.jpg

SDC11414.jpg

SDC11415.jpg

SDC11416.jpg

SDC11417.jpg

SDC11418.jpg

Hi all

If any one has or sees for sale a black arm rest and screws, and the white plastic clip for the table -

SDC11429.jpg

Please can they give me a shout if possible.

I am also after the table leg (this seems to be missing, but I do have mossi nets) -

SDC11430.jpg

Thanks for all your comments.

J.

An amazing find, I'm very jealous.
I have a 1972 tintop with a red interior but with 8 seats.

You've done a great job cleaning it up but don't forget to spend some time on the engine, especially the fuel lines, I think most people on here will say its one of the first things you should be doing on a vehicle thats been stood for that amount of time. (Although brakes are also important!! :? )
Its only a piece from the tank to the tin wear and then from the tin wear to the carb, easy job. Plus don't forget a new fuel filter and some fresh petrol, you can let the tank drain when your changing the fuel lines.

Look forward to following the rest of your adventures with Ronald. (you lucky person)
:D

I wish all I had to do to mine was clean it.I'm jealous too,what a great find.I also agree with Waxer about the fuel lines,change them all. ;)

Waxer said:
An amazing find, I'm very jealous.
I have a 1972 tintop with a red interior but with 8 seats.

You've done a great job cleaning it up but don't forget to spend some time on the engine, especially the fuel lines, I think most people on here will say its one of the first things you should be doing on a vehicle thats been stood for that amount of time. (Although brakes are also important!! :? )
Its only a piece from the tank to the tin wear and then from the tin wear to the carb, easy job. Plus don't forget a new fuel filter and some fresh petrol, you can let the tank drain when your changing the fuel lines.

Look forward to following the rest of your adventures with Ronald. (you lucky person)
:D

And dont forget the bits for the tank breather system that are up inside the air vents & on top of the tank - a common failure that results in both fuel smells & also worse if the tank is overfilled ;)

At last another crossover that has the same earlier style buckle type seatbelts as mine! I was beginning to think someone had retro-fitted them, as all other crossys I've come across seem to have the later style plug-in types!

Regarding the '57', I'm not sure. I would guess that it is simply a batch number or destination code for the 'raw materials' before dispatch to the converters, but someone else may know different. :)

Doug

Danbury Doug said:
At last another crossover that has the same earlier style buckle type seatbelts as mine! I was beginning to think someone had retro-fitted them, as all other crossys I've come across seem to have the later style plug-in types!...

I have those too!! (Kangol I think)

;)

Justin & Muttley said:
Danbury Doug said:
At last another crossover that has the same earlier style buckle type seatbelts as mine! I was beginning to think someone had retro-fitted them, as all other crossys I've come across seem to have the later style plug-in types!...

I have those too!! (Kangol I think)

;)

I have them in my mini too..... and just like the ones in the bus, they always seem to get twisted up! :lol:

looks in amazing condition considering where it was standing. good advice about the fuel lines.

Hi all

September was a busy month so not much time was spent working on the Camper.

I managed to do 6 hours today which consisted of WD40'ing the underneath, Gunk'ing the door shuts, locks, sliding door roller etc and also some more polishing around the door shuts and behind the drivers seat.

It really is coming on very well and I hope to be able to put some more hours in this week.

Family Encouragement -

SDC12113.jpg

SDC12132.jpg

First drink in a few years (it didn't take long for these to be emptied) -

SDC12114.jpg

Gunk'ed (still needs the Gunk washing off and then polishing) -

SDC12115.jpg

SDC12116.jpg

SDC12117.jpg

SDC12118.jpg

SDC12120.jpg

SDC12121.jpg

SDC12131.jpg

Shiny Trim -

SDC12119.jpg

Looking clean again -

SDC12122.jpg

SDC12123.jpg

SDC12124.jpg

SDC12125.jpg

SDC12126.jpg

SDC12127.jpg

SDC12128.jpg

SDC12129.jpg

SDC12130.jpg

J.

This is such an awesome van, and is coming along nicely, have you looked under the silver tape on the roof yet? the suspence is killing me as to what is under there lol

Mark

Love you camper, it's ace! Especially like those red turtle effect cushions! 8)
I have a black arm rest if you want it, pretty sure i kept the screws too. Just sort me out the postage.

Hi all

Thanks for the comments.

In relation to schedule, it will only be completed when it is all clean and fresh as I can not use anything or rush a job till it is all done. I am also finding it very theraputic and a stress buster, and it is great to just tinker away for a few hours and will keep mne busy this winter rather than sitting down in front of the box.

I am also a little apprehensive of other peoples dirt and as the inside was damp, and musty plus had loads of junk really need to be sure that it is not just clean but also free of bugs, mites, germs etc.

I am also really trying to keep it as original as possible and know that it would of been easier to strip it, blast it and spray etc, but that's not always the best option for me, and especially with this in very good condition, so many more hours will be spent but I am so pleased of the originality. So far I have only bought a key and battery (plus lots spent on cleaning products - around £230 currently).

I estimate another 50 to 60 hours of cleaning. This is for the roof lining, windows, trim, rubbers (I am still trying to keep all the original components), front seats, sun visors, carpets, seatbelts, dash, knobs etc, plus all cushions and all the curtains and also the tie backs.

When the cleaning has been fully completed I will then turn to the outside and take off all lens, remove lights etc and clean properly and also clean up the electrical contacts. This I find is a must so that when driving a vibration, pot hole etc will not stop the brakes lights, indicator etc from working. This is just simply a small brass drill bit put it a battery drill and then used to polish the contacts, but of course many more hours.

The engine will also come out for a full clean and service, and some things stripped (carb etc) so that I can work on it in the garage over the winter. The wheels will also come off and all bearings, brakes etc checked, cleaned and sorted.

I then hope to get the MOT and then when road legal will use as is to make sure that lowering is the way to go.

I really need it lowered to get inside the garage, but I also like the idea of high suspension with original wheels and big nobberly tyres.

I am then looking forward to having a weekend away around Spring next year, and a beer and a bar b q.

J.

Have completely enjoyed reading this story. What an excerlent find! I love that you are naming it after it's owner who loved him too. Congratulations :mrgreen: 8)