Gauges

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishSilver

Reaction score
After some advise please. I am about to have a new engine go in so am looking at getting some gauges put in to help protect the investment. I know that they are not reliable with there readings so to speak and are just an indicator for whats normal with your bus. I don't want loads of them and to be honest want to be minimalist. I am thinking that oil pressure is the most important, with a voltmeter and taco gauge being useful. I only want 3, do you think this is a good combo or would you suggest something else? Cheers Guys :)

Oil temperature would be my first choice as this is a good early indication of the engine being worked too hard. Oil pressure gauge I'd argue isn't as important - you have an oil pressure warning light on the dash already. Arguably your biggest concern regarding oil pressure is a sudden leak; by the time the gauge or dash light had warned you of this and you've switched off the engine, the chances are the damage will already have been done. I do like having a tacho so that is a good choice IMO. Volt meters - I've never really understood the importance of one, it'll leave you by the side of the road regardless of whether you have a gauge or not but isn't going to be an engine killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil temperature would be my first choice as this is a good early indication of the engine being worked too hard. Oil pressure gauge I'd argue isn't as important - you have an oil pressure warning light on the dash already. Arguably your biggest concern regarding oil pressure is a sudden leak; by the time the gauge or dash light had warned you of this and you've switched off the engine, the chances are the damage will already have been done. I do like having a tacho so that is a good choice IMO. Volt meters - I've never really understood the importance of one, it'll leave you by the side of the road regardless of whether you have a gauge or not but isn't going to be an engine killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the main use for the volt gauge is to show up a snapped alternator belt or broken alternator. Although the breakdown is inevitable its not like engine failure and if you notice it you should hopefully be able to get to a garage before the breakdown.

Forgot to say I have a save my bug dip stick for oil temp :)

I thought that might be the case with the voltmeter, in which case you would get the generator light come on if the belt snapped, which hopefully would give you enough warning to bring the engine to a stop before it cooked itself. I suppose it would also serve as a warning if your alternator wasn't kicking out enough voltage, but I'd imagine that modern-day alternators for our vans are more likely to suffer catastrophic failure of the bearings or similar rather than the regulator, so there'd be no warning from a gauge.

Moseley said:
I thought that might be the case with the voltmeter, in which case you would get the generator light come on if the belt snapped, which hopefully would give you enough warning to bring the engine to a stop before it cooked itself. I suppose it would also serve as a warning if your alternator wasn't kicking out enough voltage, but I'd imagine that modern-day alternators for our vans are more likely to suffer catastrophic failure of the bearings or similar rather than the regulator, so there'd be no warning from a gauge.
Ideal just the sort of Ito I'm after, you just saved me a few quid on that one :beerchug:

I fitted oil temp, oil pressure and tacho. I have to agree that while the oil pressure doesn't tell you much more than the warning light in a crisis you can get indications of oil health and overall engine health (over a long period of time) from this. You may also see sudden low pressure when cornering should the oil level become low. Be aware though that if you decide on one you will need to fit the original oil pressure switch into a tee piece as the VDO "dual sender" unit has a different rating to VW's and will cause your oil light to (worryingly) come on at tickover/low revs...

As was mentioned already, knowing if you have a reliable reading, especially with temperature, is a bit of a problem so "baselining" what's normal for your engine is what it's all about. I have my oil temp sender in the Type 3 dipstick blanking plate as I found a sump mounted one is a pain when jacking/removing your engine. There is then the whole thing of "sump sender indicates cool" and "dipstick blanking plate sender is next to the exhaust so might indicate hot" etc etc

I'm thinking that the Type 2 "bug saver" dipstick sender may actiually be the best location-wise, if not the neatest, option...

CornishSilver said:
After some advise please. I am about to have a new engine go in so am looking at getting some gauges put in to help protect the investment. I know that they are not reliable with there readings so to speak and are just an indicator for whats normal with your bus. I don't want loads of them and to be honest want to be minimalist. I am thinking that oil pressure is the most important, with a voltmeter and taco gauge being useful. I only want 3, do you think this is a good combo or would you suggest something else? Cheers Guys :)

Check out the Stack Range of gauges from somewhere like Demon Tweeks. When I was buying them for my westy they were much higher rated for their accuracy. I ended upo with just 2 for oil pressure & temp relying on my ears instead of bying a rev gauge

CornishSilver said:

Check out the Stack Range of gauges from somewhere like Demon Tweeks. When I was buying them for my westy they were much higher rated for their accuracy. With my 1776 I ended up with just 2 for oil pressure & temp relying on my ears instead of buying a rev gauge

Dakota Digital are very good - I have Oil Pressure and CHT.

There's an article on Ratwell comparing these to VDO

The Tacho I got from Aspro on here

To be honest the 3 I was thinking of were oil temp, pressure & taco. The problem I'm having is getting them in the style I want. I was set on the VDO Series 1 but they don't do oil temp. I want the dials to match the vw dial's closely as possible really, Chrome outer, black face with white hand and script. After having a look at Demon tweeks the smith dials look not to bad.

Latest posts