Gear change issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcod

Reaction score
First drive of my new left hooker yesterday(pics to follow) and having issues with gear selection. the problem is not only selecting gears but also dropping 3rd to 2nd and plenty of grinding which I'm assuming is reverse. I've removed the original and put an empi one on which improves it a lot and was happy with my last one. The problem is still particularly dropping 3rd to 2nd as it is grinding the poop out of the box. Am I missing something? Is the box knackered or something as simple as keeping the original selector plate in place. I've done loads of forum searching but am struggling. I did read one thing about fitting the empi whilst it's in reverse rather than in 2nd like an original shifter. Any help appreciated

Are you sure it's because your getting reverse rather than second gear?

If its second or third that's grinding it means the cogs are still turning. This means either your clutch is not fully disengaging or the syncros in the gearbox are worn.

If changing gear slowly stops the grinding then it's likely syncros - if it makes no difference then it's likely the clutch dragging.

If I slow down to quite slow then I think I can do it. So are we saying rebuilt gearbox needed?

I'd bin that Empi shifter, hateful things.
Check all your bushes.
I used to have issues with a Scat shifter.
I replaced it with a CSP shifter, I also replaced the front bushes and forward rod.
Another recommendation I'd make is to change the gearbox oil.
Mine shifts like a modern car now.

Robcod said:
If I slow down to quite slow then I think I can do it. So are we saying rebuilt gearbox needed?

I didn't mean slow the vehicle down, I meant change gear slowly as in taking your time moving the lever from one gear to another. :)

And yes, mr scoops makes a good point. Sometimes, if the gear oil is old, changing it helps. Normal EP 80/90 works fine. If you do change the gear oil make sure you can undo the filler plug before removing the drain plug.

Right carried out a gear oil change this evening. It stank and was very dark green, a change must of been well over due. I will tighten the clutch cable a couple of turns tomorrow night and try and give it a run another night. Makes sense what you say about the clutch adjustment.

I struggle finding 2nd on the down shift too Rob and sometimes hit reverse. I don't think its gearbox, more likely a combo of worn bushes and a sloppy shifter. I don't want to give away my next pic of the posty's delivery tomorrow (hopefully)........ ;)

foldingfortress said:
The selector stops you selecting reverse, so might need adjustment.

Indeed.

On a stock mechanism it's impossible to get reverse without first pushing the gear lever downwards to compress the spring and get past the detent.

Oil changed carried out and felt better before I even got it running. I moved the empi shifter a bit and it went well until I realised I couldn't get any higher than second. Thankfully there is a large car park not far and I messed about in the moving he shifter around. Good news no crunching of gears now at all and just a couple of times struggled to find third and fourth so pretty pleased on the whole. Hopefully taking it away for its first weekend next week and will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice

Get a decent shifter in there, pop it in second and set the position.
I'd change the front bushes and the front section of rod too.

Drove mine at the weekend (first time properly in 2 years) and I'd forgotten how easy it is to drive since I'd sorted my shifter and linkage etc