Gearbox Renewal Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Hi,

Fitted a new gearbox, but having re-connected the gear stick linkage, it doesn't feel right at all. Too tight and can't hardly select a gear. Previous arrangement was normal.

I guess it might be a case of the connection of linkage with the grub screw has thrown it all out. I put it into 4th I think, to reconnect. Or are new gearboxes stiff? It's filled but not run yet. Clutch is new, but cable not fitted yet.

Any suggestions?

Also having a mare with the crankshaft pulley bolt. Just can't free it off. Going to hire a compressor and air impact gun. Again, any suggestions?

Cheers all!

2nd to refit the linkage i think
locking the fly wheel will that help undo the front :?
rich

Well, I got the pulley bolt off easily in the end - used this beast https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Well worth the investment.

As for the pulley itself, no chance! Even with the puller, it wouldn't budge, just bent the pulley.

So to keep things moving, I've cut off the lower half of the pulley off, so I could get access to the tinware bolts etc, so I can fit my engine mount adapter to the oil plate.

I've soaked the Pulley in GT85 again, and will try tonight, but I can't see it working.

I guess the options left, are to get the blow-torch on it, or I've read about a small puller on the inside.

Am I Ok heating this bit up? Don't want to damage the casing or seals in this area.

Thanks.

Never try to remove the pulley by using a puller on the outside! The two slots in the pulley are there for a reason - use a puller with two bolts through the slots. Works every time without bending the pulley.

BJ1 said:
Never try to remove the pulley by using a puller on the outside! The two slots in the pulley are there for a reason - use a puller with two bolts through the slots. Works every time without bending the pulley.

Too late! To be honest, it's proper stuck to the crankshaft anyway. I'm cutting off the rest of the outer pulley (softer metal part) and then going to get a puller on the heavy grade metal inner and see if that works. I put some heat on it the other night, but that didn't work.

Oh the joy!

Cheers.

Latest posts