golf

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busdiver

Reaction score
gotta replace my daily (renault megane, hate it) so thought about a Golf.

so gone on autotrader and there are golf's and golf plus' what the difference is there if any.

and if i go for a golf any suggestions on MK, gotta commute 200mile a week.

don't get a golf plus they look shit!!!!

when it comes to getting a golf it depends how big your budget is as the prices vary massively. i've had a couple of golfs now & swear by them.

currently running a MK5 2.0 GTD & absolutely love it. it's got 140 brake so nippy when you need it to be & driving sensibly on a run i can get around 48-55 mpg. driving around town normally get around 39-42 mpg which i don't think is too bad. it's relatively cheap to insure & tax is around £220 for the year which is a lot less than if you were to get the petrol GTI or R32. although, i'd have an R32 if i didn't have to worry about money.

80k does seem a lot on a car that's only 3 1/2 years old, although if it's been serviced at the correct intervals the engine should be ok. Will be due a cam belt change around 80k too, so there's something else to look out for, not the cheapest of jobs to get done.

Stay away from ex rental too as they'll of been hammered, but you probably know that anyway.

Hi mate we're on our 3rd TDI now, great cars and easy for the wife to drive :msn4:
We've got a 2003 130bhp estate which I drove to the Alps recently and it was great.

Hi mate-currently got a 2010 1.6 tdi with 50k on it-really economical and comfortable but nowhere near as much fun as the 2004 2.0 tdi I had before ;o)
One thing to watch is the BLB engine codes on the mk5 2.0 tdi (like the one I had). Lots on forums about them failing due to a faulty balance shaft and costing a bomb to fix. VW sorted them on later models....

Beware the pre cr 2.0 tdi they have shaft balancers made of cheese most will have been replaced. 1.9 of any flavour is the way ahead, the pds aren't the most refined but make good power and respond well to a remap.
Driven sensibly they will do mid 50 mpg all day long.
For build quality a mk4 is better but getting on a bit now.
My Mrs has a pd150 tdi and it goes really really well and its remapped to 180ish.
The 150 has been known to eat its cam if given the wrong oil, but the pd130 doesn't have this problem.
I love them i've had 2 mk4s myself as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've just brought a 1998 Mk 3 1.9 tdi estate for a daily and the engine is brilliant! economical and pokey!

We've got a 2001 mk4 Tdi estate, 6 gears, 115 bhp. Economical, reliable and fast. I'll get another one if this one ever runs out. (it's got 130,000 on the clock and still drives like new).

I've got a Golf plus :lol: I don't really care that it isn't as cool as a regular model, it came at the right time for the right price. It's a 2 litre TDi and does its job perfectly. My 'fun' driving kicks are obtained elsewhere ;)

cheers guys, need to replace my daily but nothing outthere really floated my boat and the missus says what about a golf the last time we looked for her 3/4 years ago they seemed overpriced to me but seem to have become more realistic.

just did'nt really know what i was looking at, it would appear that mileage is not so much a big deal, i guess as long as it has been serviced and the timing belt changed,

now thinking 1.6/2.0 turbo diesel lower road tax and good mpg. 8)

If looking at newer ones I had a mk6 fitted with the 1.6 tdi 105ps and it was great, not underpowered as I thought it would be especially as I had it with the dsg box, great fuel economy and very low on emissions so I think road tax was £90 a year and it returned 50 to a gallon if you sat at 80 ish Lon the motorway

I used to have a Mk4 PD150 that was remapped to 180+bhp...it used to fly! Was probably one of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. It blew the turbo at 200k miles and then ate the cam followers at 209k, so I threw in the towel at that point! So if looked after then they go for a while....and I was hideously abusive to it as well :msn4:
Now have a Mk5 2.0 TDI GT170 and that is great now the stupid dpf has been removed and mapped out (now somewhere around 200 bhp+). It's seriously quick too now, but just not as much fun as the Mk4 was.
Happy hunting!
Cheers
Al

Really bundy? I had 2 mkIV's a 1.8T Gti (remapped, lowered etc and a big turbo) and a R32 - lowered, remap exhaust etc.

Loved both of them to death but when I drove mkIV Gti there appeared to be wallowly old boats in comparison. Even comparing it to mk Scirocco 2.0GT tsi I had a few years ago that was a lot lot nicer to drive than either or mk MKiv's. Suprising you think it is the opposite. Must admit not driven a diesel one of them tho so maybe thats where the difference is?

J.

I may have neglected to mention the Eibach suspension (replacement shox and springs not coilies) and anti-roll bars. It was so civilized and totally predictable. You could throw it at roundabouts silly fast...not that I ever did....honest :msn4:
Nice simple not over the top mods that can just get done when old things wear out.

Not saying the Mk5 isn't nice, just the Mk4 was a better car for the money....and I think the 1.9TDI lump seems alot less fussy than the 2.0TDI. Had the turbo go on an A3 2.0TDI at about 70k...far too early in my book, and the dpf issues with the later ones is a joke.

Cheers
Al

I have a MK5 golf tdi gt 140. Love it, just a nice drive and the best looking of the more modern golfs IMO.

Latest posts