Has anyone else got one of these?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

our bus 68

Reaction score
As a collector of model cars over the years I have picked up a large selction of vehicles. Having being drawn to the world of VW I had to get myself some diecast models of campers.

Like many people, the Matchbox VW Dormobile no.23 was a favourite to get. luckily I had mine still from my early days. However a few years ago I was given another one complete with it's box in the blue and orange colours. I just put it on display with the others and didn't think about it any more.

However looking through a price list these models are worth up to £40 mint and boxed. This is where I discovered I in fact had a very rare version with a fuel filler flap on it. The price guide states it is so rare that it is worth over £400 !!! :shock: :shock:

Thought you guys should know as you may have something worth more than you expect.
P1040159.jpg

Here is the model with the filler flap marked on it.

P1040165.jpg

These two are the standard models that were issued with no filler flap.

If you have one of these or have any information about them I would love to know.

Rob

:shock:
no way!!!
I saw the pic and thought ...that looks familiar so I dug through my sons car box (he inherited my cars/ my cousins cars and so on from when we were kids) and sure enough I've got one of those but I can't say it's mint :lol:
shattered windscreen/ missing roof/ scratches...
(it's not really a dormobile interior tho)
unfortunately I don't have a filler cap so it's not a rare one...I've (sorry HE's..!) also got a split screen but again, not in tip top condition - I'll have to dig it out tomorrow.
I've often wondered whether the registration is the same on them all....I presume it must be because of tooling. Mine is VMV 252H which doesn't appear to be on the dvla database.
It's kind of spooky as my first - and the van I still have - VW reg was VNV 905H...

yeah ive got the blue and the orange one... unfortunetly not boxed or with the petrol flap....
but still in pretty good condition!

schweeeet!

:mrgreen:

I've got the blue and orange one too ,but no filler flap or box.I like it because it's a 1970 Dormy like my real one.Maybe I'll respray the model to match it!

I've got three, one orange, the other two blue, all of which I've owned 'from new' :D Two are mint, one is well used.
As for the filler flap, I'll have to check. I have one out 'on display' and that doesn't have it, but I will have to have a hunt now for the other two!

Think they may have stopped doing them with the fuel flap when they realised it was on the wrong side :roll:

wibbler said:
Think they may have stopped doing them with the fuel flap when they realised it was on the wrong side :roll:

Could be or it may have been cheaper to cast without the extra detail.

I might try and speak to a professional collector to see if they have anymore details on these rare models. worth finding out :?

the 1st 3 on the left are the current release by matchbox. the roofs do not open on them. if you cant find them in the UK i have some extra ones i could sell :roll: . more green ones than the red or orange.

Ive got a blue one too, it sits on the dash of my bay.
I dont think its got a filler flap but I will look later.
Didnt realise that you could get those new ones, my son would love one.
I will have to have a look around for one
Cheers

panalvan said:
Just took a look at mine and guess what (sorry about picture)
holiday2009france195.jpg

Got a yellow one to but no filler flap :mrgreen:

Nice one!!! Look after it and enjoy the fact you have got a rarity in your collection ! 8)

They didn't produce any of the yellow models with the filler cap. However I was told that they are more desirable if they still have the sailing boat stickers on both sides.

I wonder if there is anyone else out there with one? Maybe this could be the start of a new sub group in early bay? :lol: :lol:

Rob

We have a little early bay convoy along our dash (we try and buy one at each show we go to)and one of them has the petrol flap but the pop up roof is missing, I paid £5 for it last year at a show in Wales, more than I've paid for most of them but I knew it was a rare one when I bought it and it's hard to get early bays that are different.

You see them from time to time for about £18 if they're a bit ratty.

warwick71 said:
We have a little early bay convoy along our dash (we try and buy one at each show we go to)and one of them has the petrol flap but the pop up roof is missing, I paid £5 for it last year at a show in Wales, more than I've paid for most of them but I knew it was a rare one when I bought it and it's hard to get early bays that are different.

You see them from time to time for about £18 if they're a bit ratty.

It certainly proves that they are out there. Always worth looking out for too.
The pop top roof can be swapped if you find a rough one with a good roof and if you are careful. It's just a case of slightly bending the end lugs on the hinge. I done it to a normal blue and orange model I have.

Happy hunting :D

One on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MACHBOX-SUPERFAST-23-VW-CAMPER-WITH-PETROL-FILLER-CAP_W0QQitemZ110486609996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN?hash=item19b983e04c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a new release matchbox superfast brown/black bay with a dorm top. right now they are priced way too high on ebay at around 50.00 US :shock: these should be dropping way down as more are released.

Latest posts