Have I buggered this head up (and other head questions)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr scoops

Reaction score
So, if you've been looking at my gallery thread you'll see I had a stab at 'whipping out' the valve guides today, however it would seem this came at a cost.
I managed to whack the valve seat, and also peen over the end of the guide hole.

Looking down through you can see where the end of the guide as peened over in one place where I caught the shoulder of my drift on it.

And using a socket on the end of the valve I was using to push the guide I've damaged the valve face.

My question is, have I written this head off or do you think it's saveable?

My other question refers to the guides. According to the Machine7 website the inlet and exhaust guides are one and the same, however on removal from my 043 Mexi heads you can see that the Exhaust guides are different. Definitely larger in diameter,(Outer Dia, I"m assuming the valve stems are the same dia.)

I've managed to find out that Mexican 043 heads have 30 mm exhaust valves with a thicker stem than the inlet valve
Vw 040 heads ( more common ) have matching stem sizes and 32 x34 mm valves

Just been back out and checked my valves. A quick measure with a rule (the batteries have died in my vernier) and my inlets are 33mm dia and the exhausts are 30mm.

After some other research it has been suggested that these may run warmer that others due to the smaller sized exhaust valve.

I'm going to pop the heads off the 1641 I have here to see what is fitted to that one and maybe fit them if they are 041s to the 1584.

I'll get the 043's redone and punt them on.

That's a job for Wed's night I think.

Threaded them and put a bolt it, then flipped them over, dropped something in to the guide until it touches the bolt and then knock it through.

NB:- next time use a longer drift! :lol: :roll:

Got some more pics/details on my resto thread in the Gallery.

Put the heads in the oven for a 10-15mins

clamp to suitable table in you workshop

spray only inside the valve guide with a can off compressed air to cool valve guide

then use long drift from rocker assembly side avoiding valve seats

come out much easier

ive done them this way

karl

They didn't just slide out btw, I had to give them some welly to get them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndyDFOhM94Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My error was to use a too short a drift/bar. :?

Drifting them is fine... once the engine has been cycled you actually get oil between the guide and the head, so as long as you use a long drift and a bit of common sense (not a dig btw), then they come out fine :)

Drilling is the other way, but that it itself can have issues... I've done it that way and had a guide spin and shave aluminium out of the head :shock: oversize guide time :(

Going back to your original question, you can get the seats refaced, but it really depends on how deeply you've bruised them, and how much metal needs to be removed to get the seating face back :)

You'd be amazed as to how easily they tap out... if you have to start pounding, then they need drilling 8)

Didn't take it as a dig. 8)

Ive got a 'spare' 1641 here that is due to be rebuilt with a 78mm crank to give me an 1855 and will have a pair of CB Los Bandito's fitted. This means the heads currently fitted to it are spare so I'm going to pop the rocker covers off tomorrow night when my mate delivers my Eberspacher and check what the heads on that one are. If they are 040's or 041's I"m going to whip them off and fit them on my 1584, if they're 043's I'll order some up.
If buying a pair of heads what would you recommend and from where?

Engine will be a 1584cc, running 1.25/1 rockers, twin ICT's and a Vintagespeed exhaust with a Pertronix set up.

Type 1s aren't really my thing... I've only really started looking at them again recently!! Everything for the last 6/7 years has been type 4 :)

But speak to Alex at vw heritage, he'll see you right on what different heads are around, and what you want :)

Latest posts