Heat Exchanger to Body pipe question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caesar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy and Gals

Managed to fin myself a good set of heat exchangers and a pair of the pipes that go from the heat exchangers to the body.

The only thing is the diameter of the outlet on the heat exchanger is the same as the diameter of the pipe therefor i cant get them together.

Am i missing something obvious or do i need to buy something else?

Many Thanks as always.

Yes the pipes (black plastic bellow type thingies) should simply push over the exterior of the exchanger pipes and then be secured with a clip. One of your items must be of the incorrect size (hopefully the pipes :wink: ). It might be possible to fabricate some type of coupler for them if you are not a purist :roll:

Cheers for the reply currylager.

Just been out to take some pics and here is what i have found.

The diameter of the outlet on the heat exchanger is 60mm.

IMG00308.jpg

The diameter of the outlet on the pipe is about 55mm. with a metal tube thing in it.

IMG00309.jpg

The diameter of the pipe is 60mm without the metal tube thing in it as below, but will still not stretch over the heat exchanger outlet.

IMG00310.jpg

First thing can anybody tell me which item is the wrong one? Please let it be the plastic tube.

Also, can anybody tell me what the metal bit is that comes out of the plastic tube.

Thanks again

Are you sure that metal thingy inside that fibre sealing ring isn't the remains of an old heat exhanger flange?. I dont recall there being any metal items within those bellow assemblies :roll: . Try removing the metal thingy and then offering the bellows/sealing rings up to your heat exchangers perhaps? :wink:

The metal part is a heat shield to stop the plastic tube melting, mine has these fitted.

As for the tubes not fitting, are the opening different sizes end to end? i.e. the 55mm end goes to the body tube?

The only other reason I can think they dont fit is are the pipes for a bug (this is just an idea).

noddy said:
The metal part is a heat shield to stop the plastic tube melting, mine has these fitted.

As for the tubes not fitting, are the opening different sizes end to end? i.e. the 55mm end goes to the body tube?

The only other reason I can think they dont fit is are the pipes for a bug (this is just an idea).

Cool thanks

So if the heat sheild should be on there, then they definately wont go on. lol

Didnt really want to start fabricating stuff up to attach the 2 pipes, would rather get the right bits on in the first place.

Anbody else got any ideas or pictures of how theres go together!?

Cheers

Are both ends of the black tubes the same size? Might be your trying to fit them backwards (only a guess but worth a shot)

Just in the process of fitting my heat exchangers. The pipe in question on mine is substantially larger diameter than the heat exchanger (beetle one), but it also is in two parts, the last three ribs 'unscrew' so the end is removable. At first I thought it was split and fairly useless, but once I realised it screwed in to the other part its quite a snug fit! Will still have to be sealed with tape. Is this how its supposed to be or is it just coincidence that they screw together?

Hiya All,

This may (or may not!) matter to you but in looking at the last picture posted by caeser, do know that the gray (in his picture - they are usually white) insulating ring is asbestos. Not the best of stuff to be breathing. And while I doubt that inhaling asbestos fibers is likely (even though this asbestos is technically in the airway) in a well maintained system, there is an alternative on the market. Airhead Parts (here in the States) sells a silicone replacement sleeve.

A nice way to get rid of the asbestos if you are so inclined.

Hi,
I have just taken mine off and the pipes have slots cut into the end as they were the same diameter.
Cheers
Gary.

gcs1968 said:
Hi,
I have just taken mine off and the pipes have slots cut into the end as they were the same diameter.
Cheers
Gary.

Ah, did you have any metal tube in the end to absorb the heat or was it just plastic onto the heat exchangers?

Cheers

Latest posts