Heat exchangers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
Stupid Question time! :roll:

I have a 1600 vege twinport in the back of my bay and along with the exhaust my heat exchangers are shot where they connect to the exhaust.

My question is this, I know repro heat exchangers are not as good as the old ones as they have half the fins but are there different types of heat exchangers for buses as opposed to beetles? I am looking for a pair of good condition second hand ones and just want to know what I am looking for. Is there any way you can tell aside from looking inside them?

Thanks in advance guys :D

It may also be possible to fix the exchangers you have - new ends can be welded on and the tin can be patched or swapped.

I've heard of people buying repro ones cutting the case off and refitting it to the old exchanger providing the insides are ok

Thanks Guys I'll think I'll replace mine as I'm not handy with a welder and there's not much left to connect the exhaust too :shock:

To be honest my heating has never been great ( I know it never will be!) but can anyone tell me if there are different heat exchangers for a van as opposed to a beetle and if so how I can tell them apart?

wookie said:
can anyone tell me if there are different heat exchangers for a van as opposed to a beetle and if so how I can tell them apart?

Theres a difference in the linkage arm on the exchanger - other than that they are the same.

Order bus ones from a reputable company and you will be fine.

I've recently fitted a pair of C&C repro ones. They're toasty to be honest and haven't had a problem, I bought them when they had a discount on ;) They have them fairly often :mrgreen:
My advice would be to check ALL the heating from back to front, make sure none of the joins are leaking and insulate the pipes. Easily done with a few rip ties & makes a huge difference. I block everything except the cab area too so get a nice strong flow of warm air :D
You'll get a bag with all the fittings but you don't need all of them as the large brackets are for beetles :mrgreen:

Good luck!

Hotrod modified some beetle ones to work on his bay. See here: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19628&start=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are 4 qualities out there

Genuine VW
International motor company (US) -same weight and fins to the outer casing but 3 fat vs the VW 6 thin. Almost as good

Then Dansk

Then some sh*t likre Dansk but even LESS by way to fins.

You can always source and modify T25 ct exchangers but they are over £200ea new

Or fit a heater.....

Latest posts