Help!!! Front wheels locked

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0retto

Reaction score
Last drove out Van two days ago and all was fine. I jump in today to take her for a spin and she won't pull off. Goes into first and reverse fine but when trying to pull off the front wheels just rock slightly forward and then rock back. With reverse its the same. I've checked underneath and all looks ok but I'm no mechanic.

Could this be a front hand break issue or the breaks seized? I'm hoping it's nothing serious... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your brakes have seized on!
Had to use the wifes landrover last time it happened to me to drag the bus out of the garage and free them off :shock:

I'm scared of putting too much pressure on the front end and snapping something!! May try lift the front and take wheel off an see how I go...?

Isn't it ironic how I traded a defender for the T2 lol.

I'll let you know how I get on and no doubt scream for help if it doesn't go to plan.

I've firmly tucked my tail between my legs and resorted to getting a lift from the misses. Onwards and upwards! It's Saturday night... Surely a cuppa tea and a biscuit is on the cards!

I know its not always possible , but i often park mine with handbrake off and bricks chokked under wheels

Give the calipers a bang of a hammer it might free them enough to get it moving but probably need looking at if they keep seizing.

Things just keep getting worse... The engine won't even start now. I charged the battery and tried again... Nothing. Anyone in the Swansea area that could come and take a look?

Just to let you know, as it hasn't already been said, but your handbrake only operates on the back wheels!

Moseley said:
Just to let you know, as it hasn't already been said, but your handbrake only operates on the back wheels!

Narrows it down then! Deffo the breaks have seized! :)

Next issue, disabling the immobiliser. :/

Hi bud, a shame about the weather at the moment for working on your bus. What I was going to suggest to you may involve a little bit of work. I`m thinking instead of throwing ideas around, it may be a good idea to try and find out what has actually seized or is causing the problem. I`m assuming that you are safe enough to jack the bus up and where to jack it up etc, and there is loads of how to`s about that on here. First off, try jacking each wheel off the ground and let`s see exactly what is seized / stuck and where, and please jack up all four wheels. Then we`ll know where to start looking, because if the front wheels are moving a little, is that because that`s all you can see whilst pushing ? If they is moving at all then I`m thinking it`s not them that`s got seized brakes, not that I think a problem can be solved with this little information. So post up what you find out :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might just be something else ;)

ozziedog said:
Hi bud, a shame about the weather at the moment for working on your bus. What I was going to suggest to you may involve a little bit of work. I`m thinking instead of throwing ideas around, it may be a good idea to try and find out what has actually seized or is causing the problem. I`m assuming that you are safe enough to jack the bus up and where to jack it up etc, and there is loads of how to`s about that on here. First off, try jacking each wheel off the ground and let`s see exactly what is seized / stuck and where, and please jack up all four wheels. Then we`ll know where to start looking, because if the front wheels are moving a little, is that because that`s all you can see whilst pushing ? If they is moving at all then I`m thinking it`s not them that`s got seized brakes, not that I think a problem can be solved with this little information. So post up what you find out :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might just be something else ;)

Cheers buddy, I'm going to jack front drivers up first (as that's where I think the issue is) and see what I find. Having a complete mare!!

Typical isn't it, bus runs fine until the week before our first trip to Busfest :(

Ok so... Turns out it isn't the front wheel at all!! It's the rear offside. Took a little video, it's not the greatest but the first few seconds show the wheel being turned and the noise coming from the wheel...

https://youtu.be/si77qKRL0uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

It doesn't look like your pads are stuck to the drums from the rain as there wouldn't be any movement there at all ..

Looks more like something dislodged inside thats jamming.

Wheel nut off and back off adjusters and pull wheel and hub off ..

It should be obvious what it is .. If not take a piccy and stick it up ..

Hilly

....is the drive shaft moving when wheel moves ? hard to see but looks like it doesn't which could be a clue...
but first step has gotta be whip the wheel off and see what you see

CV Joint knackered?

No movement in the driveshaft/CV joint when you wiggle the wheel back and forth on the video...

As said, get it up, wheel off and start taking it to bits - whatever it is should become pretty obvious as you strip it!

Latest posts