Help !! Insurance in America

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaughan

Reaction score
Can anyone advise !!

I have bought a bus from Vancover and want to drive it to LA. Does anyone know who i can get insurance from to drive it in the States !!!
Cheers
Ade :?

Last time I did this I simply went to the office of the closest insurance agent and bought it over the counter. In addition to the usual documents I also had a letter from my own insurers confirming the amount of no claims bonus I had which meant I could get a discount too. Canada and USA were no problem but they were not keen to cover in Mexico ....

Trikky2 said:
Last time I did this I simply went to the office of the closest insurance agent and bought it over the counter. In addition to the usual documents I also had a letter from my own insurers confirming the amount of no claims bonus I had which meant I could get a discount too. Canada and USA were no problem but they were not keen to cover in Mexico ....

Thanks for that !!!

vaughan said:
Thanks for that !!!

No probs Hope it all goes smoothly for you - dont forget to post up with some photos of your adventure. I am sure lots of us on here would enjoy it :)

Hi There

I dunno how recently it was Trikky did this but I did this just a month ago. Well, from Portland to LA anyway, so I cannot comment on Canada.

I tried the over the counter thing at 2 or 3 places and was turned down flat!

Here is what I found out........

To do the job properly, you need to register the vehicle in your name. To do this you need a US address. Then you can get insurance.

I didn't have an address but luckily a mate on the East Coast was able to put it on his insurance just using the VIN so we didn´t need to register it in either my or his name, and I just paid him the extra premium. Insurance in the US works different from the UK. Its the car that is insured, not the driver so this was the easiest way of doing it. I got a letter from my mate along with the cover note, saying we had his permission to drive.

Getting Canadian insurance to cover you in the US might be easier for us Brits. I dunno, but I'd try there first ;)

Do a google search for non resident car insurance in the USA

Don´t be put off though, Its a bloody fantastic trip.

DSC01729.jpg

Let me know if you need any other help/advice

yes i was told that you have to have the vehicle registered in your name to insure, and for that as stated you need a us address, the DMV for each state has information regarding this and their requirements.

Ideally a friend or a family members assistance would be the way forward if you are a uk national.

Sorry - I did not mention it because I thought it was obvious the vehicle would have to be in your name and you would need an address - same as here.

Try getting a Trip certificate. Should be good for OR and CA. Will still need insurance that you'll have to get over there, but the trip cert should make it easier. We just did Portland to LA and took us 4 days...

The whole Canada into USA thing is difficult though as your effectively driving into another country

Regards

Mark Ritson
0844 879 7265
07545 297603
http://Www.Morecambeandwize.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for everyone's help !!!

Will post some pics !!! hopefully they won't be one's of getting stopped by the Law !!!

Ade 8)

Latest posts