Help needed - 1641cc AD rebuilt engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dci_Carter

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some help

I recently acquired a 1971 Deluxe
and its been fitted with a rebuilt AD code engine from about 73 upgraded to 1641cc (86.95 Pistons) its done approx 175 miles. It was sold as a non runner after being brought back by somebody else who complained that it had become noisy and blowing smoke after 50 miles.

After fitting a new starter motor I got it started and it seem to run okay but I notiched small wisps of white smoke coming from the engine when hot, I then took her out for a run and it seemed down on power and got increasingly nosier, so I brought her back after 1 mile and then I saw oil dripping out of the rocker cover/heat exchanger?. I've now taken the engine apart and removed the head and cylinders, I've inspected the bores, there is is very light scratches but no deep marks, the left piston rings are stuck in the compressed position.

Does anyone have thoughts what may have caused this? I'm thinking its badly adjusted rockers? allowing oil to pass through the push rods? Any help welcomed :D

Worth trying a compression and leak down test.

I would think it will be valves not seating properly or rings not sealing properly.

I would lean towards the rings

Good luck with it,

Alex

Thanks Alex, would badly adjusted rockers be an issue?, letting oil come through the push rods?

I doubt it, Oil is meant to travel down the push rod tubes!

Always worth checking but it shouldn't make any difference unless it is holding the valves open which would mean really badly adjusted rockers.

Latest posts