help with alternator removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
i fitted a new alterntor while doing my resto but as with most the aftermarket crap we are sold its packed up so needs to go back, i am running a 32/36 webber and for the life of me i cant get the bloody carb and manifold of to get to the four bolts that hold the alternator to the fan houesing ,i have looked in the manuals and for a 71 they refer to dynamo removal ,i remember there being more room to remove bits with this but with the alternator its tight .
looking at it i think i am going to have remove the engine :( to get this out. if there is another way i would be gratefull for advice, hope this makes sence.

I seem to remember having a similar head scratch when I was swapping from a dynamo to alternator. In the end I finally realised that the heat risers slide out of the manifold which then allowed me to slide the manifold out completely.

Hope that helps! :D

NellyM said:
I seem to remember having a similar head scratch when I was swapping from a dynamo to alternator. In the end I finally realised that the heat risers slide out of the manifold which then allowed me to slide the manifold out completely.

Hope that helps! :D
i thoght of thi but the manifold supplied for 32/36 has fixed pre heat tubes :(

Remove the thermostat, undo the fan shroud side screws, remove the belt and alternator clamp, wiring etc. Lift the fan housing from the RHS and you should get clearance to undo and remove the alternator...
... I took the engine out...

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Have changed alternators twice now - once with the engine in place, and the other time I dropped the engine - guess which way was quicker (but not by much).... if doing it again I personally would drop the engine

Drop the engine, every time. Much easier, especially with the luxury of a removable valance. Doesn't matter to me if it takes an extra 20 minutes.

Aluminium casting ends off, pre-heat tube and central bolt on inlet manifold (if you have one) undone, remove carb assy, then you can get at the alternator easily and run a clean cloth over everything too.

Latest posts