Hot starting issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2 Brinky

Reaction score
Hi all

Having trouble starting when hot. Stock motor with hot start relay setup.

Valves done recently, new fuel filter, plugs checked cleaned and gaped. 3ohms across coil.

Not sure if I'm on the correct lines but not getting full voltage at the coil. I have a direct feed from battery to switch then coil witch is all new. But if battery reads 12.8v then I get approx 10.5v at the coil.
Witch I then think provides a week spark???

Cheers

Hi all

Having trouble starting when hot. Stock motor with hot start relay setup.

Valves done recently, new fuel filter, plugs checked cleaned and gaped. 3ohms across coil.

Not sure if I'm on the correct lines but not getting full voltage at the coil. I have a direct feed from battery to switch then coil witch is all new. But if battery reads 12.8v then I get approx 10.5v at the coil.
Witch I then think provides a week spark???

Cheers
Starts OK when cold.

I take it that is voltage when cranking? That will be normal for a points system, ballast coil will get around this but you will need to fit another relay to bypass the ballast. As you have the hot start relay this will be easy to pick up a switch wire from starter soliniod.

I take it that is voltage when cranking? That will be normal for a points system, ballast coil will get around this but you will need to fit another relay to bypass the ballast. As you have the hot start relay this will be easy to pick up a switch wire from starter soliniod.
Manny thanks

I was reading somthing simular from another thread on here

Would you be able to recomend the coil suggested link ect
Thanks

Could be heat soak, Where is the fuel filter? My type 3 used to be hard to start when warm, I put a pressure gauge inline and checked it after shutdown and every 10-15 minutes after. The pressure kept going up as the heat rises off the engine. I switched to an electric pump under the tank and never a problem since.

Could be heat soak, Where is the fuel filter? My type 3 used to be hard to start when warm, I put a pressure gauge inline and checked it after shutdown and every 10-15 minutes after. The pressure kept going up as the heat rises off the engine. I switched to an electric pump under the tank and never a problem since.
Thanks, got a inline side of gearbox tucked up.

Attachments

• IMG_20240524_142414.jpg
    IMG_20240524_142414.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0