How long have you owned your current bus?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
Back on subject

Who’s gone off subject?

I thought the thread was asking how long we’d had our vans.

Thought I’d ask as I’m the preceding reply [emoji106]

Bah Humbug [emoji319][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
ozziedog said:
Back on subject

Who’s gone off subject?

No one’s gone off topic [emoji3]. Ksmith a few post above was asking Beakey if they still had their van. The last post before that is 9 years before!

That’s the only reason this thread popped up, interesting to see who is still here after all this time, as I think at least a couple have sold their vans now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

matty74 said:
ozziedog said:
Back on subject

Who’s gone off subject?

Sorry matty74 , I wasn’t saying you were changing the topic :lol: I was saying that I’d continued in the change of topic by replying to the person looking for that van, hence I went back on topic by talking about how long I’d had mine :mrgreen: Interesting read through the whole thread and remembering some of the names that used to frequent this place. I’m off to Hi Ho, Hi Ho, in a minute and then I got a week off. Hopefully get down to the garage and sort some of my flooring issues. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Cant wait :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
matty74 said:
ozziedog said:
Back on subject

Who’s gone off subject?

Sorry matty74 , I wasn’t saying you were changing the topic :lol: I was saying that I’d continued in the change of topic by replying to the person looking for that van, hence I went back on topic by talking about how long I’d had mine :mrgreen: Interesting read through the whole thread and remembering some of the names that used to frequent this place. I’m off to Hi Ho, Hi Ho, in a minute and then I got a week off. Hopefully get down to the garage and sort some of my flooring issues. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Cant wait :mrgreen:
No worries Ozzie [emoji85] I thought I was rambling too much [emoji1787] I often do [emoji1787][emoji319]

I think had mine for 17 years now

And was lucky enough to have another for a couple of years before that. Had a bus since I was 17 when ever I think of getting rid Its time to use it.

Once upon a time in the mid seventies, I had a fab beach buggy too and it was a metallic green colour. Didn’t realise at the time that Baz lived not far away and lusted after my buggy. This time of year I was constantly waiting on some snow to arrive so I could go out playing in my buggy and was gonna show everyone how it was done. I had a set of white mohawk style Weller steel wide wheels on and a pair of mahoosive general grabbers :p One year when the snow was about Willy deep when I woke up, I ran down to my yard to get the buggy out for a blast and had to dig him out as in empty all the snow out that had blown under the tarp because he never had a roof, so I empty him out and he won’t start with a flat battery partly because of the cold. So I get an extension out and a charger and give him a tickle for an hour or so and set about clearing some snow away to go out for a spin :p . Mum has called down with a bacon butty ;) and I finally start the buggy up. :mrgreen: What a let down! :shock: :shock: The wide wheels were absolutely useless for traction in the snow and I pushed the bloody thing more than drove it. Got him on the road and was whizzing about on the cleared roads and then belting along on top of the snow on some of the side roads, as soon as it slowed down it was pushing time :oops: :? :oops: But I still thought it was ace, driving around in my buggy with my sheepskin coat on and spraying people with snow on the corners. Funny thing was, my beetle was fab in the snow in stock trim :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,aaaaaand, I wish I still had him :mrgreen:

You should try a 3L Capri in the snow!!!!! WE lived on the common along a track and had to abandon it a few hundred yards from the house due to snow drifts! (I know off subject but them was the days!!)

Wannabay said:
I've had mine since 2006, a sort of mid life crisis after the biblical deluge at Glasto 2005, and vowing never to camp at a festival again!

I’ve wandered amongst flooded Glastonbury fields and felt much sympathy for those in tents!

20 years in June 2022, 15 years on the road.

We got hold of our 71 Doormobile in May 2011, bought during a day out at Stanford Hall. Since then we used it whilst doing a rolling resto.
Myself and my wife have done all the work, I did all the cutting, welding and changing the original drab beige colour to a more eye catching Turkis Blue and Pastel White. Libby did the upholstery, door cards and all the soft furnishings to compliment the exterior colours.
Daisy is a Doormobile, but when we got her she had little interior to speak off. So after spending 18 months working on the exterior, electrics and mechanicals we ran out of steam and decided to buy an interior with sink and two burner hob we fitted a propex heater and leisure battery for some creature comforts.
Two years ago the engine that came with the van expired in a big way the day before we were to go to a VW show at Biggar in Scotland. The engine was replaced with a 1776. I fitted twin ICT's and it performs really well, no problem with hills anymore.
Last year I took the jump and built my first air cooled engine, another 1776 but using an aluminium case.
We love taking her to the beach, and our Cocker Spaniel Molly thinks the van is hers, she won't let us take the van out without her. We had a Khyam drive away awning to throw everything into when we are at sites but have since replaced that wit a Glawing.
We know the van will never be finished, there is always something else to do, and redo to make them better, but the van is a way of life not a chore.

We acquired ours early 2007 and it's still a favourite toy.

When he was 4 our little man made me promise we would never sell the camper van, it was an easy promise to make ;)

In reply to KevH, our 71 Doormobile was featured in Camper & Bus "Readers Rides" June 2015. We still have the old girl.

Well here goes! I bought my bus February 1983! Still driving but not as a daily. Not bad after 39 years of ownership! :)

I've owned my 68 deluxe twin slider (walkthrough model) since 2007/8 (I think). It was extensively restored and repainted - and both done fairly badly as I've recently discovered after I decided to address the 'few' (visible) issues. It now looks like something like this - and is nearing completion - but at least I know it's been done properly this time around!!

Latest posts