How often ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. How often do you go out camping in your buses, what's your favourite places and whats your favourite thing to take ? 🙂🤙.

I’m guessing at somewhere between six and a dozen camping trips as it changes year on year. I’ve done about eight so far this year and I still missed out some that I like to go on and maybe four left . My favourite is Caldicot Castle and I really like the Techenders and the Banbury air cooled that Graham sorts out. Fave things to take are the fire place, the same old crappy tunes and plenty of Stella. Best bit is usually drinking around the fire and chatting the same old baloney as I did the year before with friends old and new. Also like it when there’s young uns toasting marshmallows on the fire as they get right into it and when they’re full up, they accidentally burn one after another and catch the skewers on fire too, pretty much every time. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,wouldn’t change it for the world :):cool::)

I’m guessing at somewhere between six and a dozen camping trips as it changes year on year. I’ve done about eight so far this year and I still missed out some that I like to go on and maybe four left . My favourite is Caldicot Castle and I really like the Techenders and the Banbury air cooled that Graham sorts out. Fave things to take are the fire place, the same old crappy tunes and plenty of Stella. Best bit is usually drinking around the fire and chatting the same old baloney as I did the year before with friends old and new. Also like it when there’s young uns toasting marshmallows on the fire as they get right into it and when they’re full up, they accidentally burn one after another and catch the skewers on fire too, pretty much every time. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,wouldn’t change it for the world :):cool::)
Wow Ozzie thats cool. All sounds good 🙂🤙.

I've been doing 2 or 3 a year. This year I didn't do Volksfest as March is too cold really for me. I've done the Air-cooled campout 4 times now and Dubs at the Castle 3 times. I was hoping to do the other Dubs at the Castle this year, depending on when my offspring need ferrying to University, and Techenders. (Due to a recent change in circumstances I should be up for a lot more trips next year!)

Last couple of years I did a load of camping but this year I’ve notched up a pathetic two nights in the bus. Just circumstances and weather, but I’ve used the bus plenty for other things.

I've been doing 2 or 3 a year. This year I didn't do Volksfest as March is too cold really for me. I've done the Air-cooled campout 4 times now and Dubs at the Castle 3 times. I was hoping to do the other Dubs at the Castle this year, depending on when my offspring need ferrying to University, and Techenders. (Due to a recent change in circumstances I should be up for a lot more trips next year!)
Sounds good @fallingoffalot i havent been anywhere in mine yet but i hope that will change one day. 🙂🤙.

Last couple of years I did a load of camping but this year I’ve notched up a pathetic two nights in the bus. Just circumstances and weather, but I’ve used the bus plenty for other things.
Thats cool @Clem. Tell you what i have been nowhere in mine yet this year. Apparently the weather is changing for the better in the next few weeks so i have seen so you might be able to get out there but thats cool you have been getting use 🙂🤙.

Been away 5 or 6 times so far this year. Unfortunately this year I don’t have a big European adventure planned but hopefully next year we will do a trip.
One of my favourite things to take is citrus tea light candles especially in Scotland as they help keep the mozzies and flies at bay.

Ive done 5 weekends so far and a 2 week holiday. Trying to use it as much as possible, probably do another 2 or 3 trips before the summers up.

I take as little as I can get away with tbh, obviously the 2 week holiday we were packed to the rafters, but weekends I leave everything at home including any awning

This year so far, Techenders in May, 2 nights. Dubs at the Castle in May, 3 nights, and Keith's field, 3 nights.
Pathetic really considering I'm retired. Trouble with me, I don't like going away on my own , little incentive i guess. I'd love to tour Europe etc, but not on my Jack Jones. Anyways, considering Skeg Vegas, i think some of the Flat4 aircooled mob are going. I've gone to Vdubs at the Pub every year since i got my van, but my mate Nige,who i usually go with, can't make it, so not this year. Second 2023 Techenders coming up 👍.
Favorite things to take, booze, CDH, and my daft hat🤠

All of it bud. What’s up with it anyhow? Or is it a mile long thread ?

Ozziefog,,,,,,,It’s all great when they’re going good. :)
There's a mile-long thread on t'other forum.

TL;DR I overheated the engine during last August's heatwave and it starting make puff-puff sounds under load. I've pulled the engine out and pulled the heads off, to find one of the rocker shaft spring clips broken and floating around in the rocker area with the two thrust washers off that end of the shaft. The legs off the clip I don't know where they went, so I need to look in the sump for them. If I can't find them I think it might be necessary to split the cases... Otherwise, I need to clean up the heads and pistons and reassemble it with a few new bits and hope that's all it needed (that the rocker arm floating about was causing the noise and not a warped head. All head bolts seems snug when I undid them).

Not often enough in the last couple of years after moving house etc. Having said that we managed 3 late trips towards the end of last year and are currently on our 2nd trip this year. 1st trip was a brilliant 600+ mile trip around the North and Mid Wales coastline and now that the house is a lot straighter intend to do plenty more. We’re back on a site we stayed at in October last year near Machynlleth called Gwerniago Farm, we’re actually on exactly the same pitch (didn’t specifically ask) how spooky is that 🤣

We have a lot of great beaches on our doorstep and do use the van a lot more as a daily on the dryer days. Great fun

Last edited:
Not at all at present. Used to do 2-3 shows a year and a couple of holidays. As Matty74 above, moved house, pretty much gutted it, extension built etc, covid hit and the bus sat on the drive (or the neighbours drive due to skips). Finally all sorted and reworking the bus with all the bits I collected. Just fitted my Rusty Lee bed I bought in 2017.
This time next year.......

I recommend Black Rock Sands in Wales. Campsite next to Dunes and over there is the beach. One of the best beaches in the country. You can drive your campervan onto the beach and park up for the day. Sand is solid and the sea is so kid friendly.

Latest posts