How to clean a carb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warwick71

Reaction score
I have finally managed to get a 2nd hand original carb to replace the crappy repro that came on our van.

Is there a way of getting carbs professionally cleaned or a good trick to cleaning it at home? Any does or don'ts etc.

Want to get it nice and clean before it goes on our spanking new engine.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

You can get them rebuilt for around £100-£140 by someone called Lawrie Ellis I think. Have a search on VZI for his contact details.

I was going to get this done but couldnt afford it right now :(

Do it urself mate, I've done mine a couple of times. Have a look on vw resourse for help. But a can of carb cleaner and also a can of air to clean it all off. Get a good quality carb rebuild kit. Job done

mattd1984 said:
Do it urself mate, I've done mine a couple of times. Have a look on vw resourse for help. But a can of carb cleaner and also a can of air to clean it all off. Get a good quality carb rebuild kit. Job done

i would echo that, fist thing i ever did on a Vdub. Be careful of the float and needle, the refurb kit float needle looks totally different than original, but is actually an upgrade. I use gunk and soaked all the parts overnight, came up well.

Just be carefull with some cleaners as they can be tooharsh and eat into the soft alloy making it extremely porous....

a can of carb cleaner is a good start and a stiff brush if its really ingrained then let it soak for a while, if you have access to an ultrasonic bath even better.

An old trick but works really really well, soak in coke (the soft drink) over night and then give a good spray of carb cleaner. Will look like new! PS this is not a joke :D :D :D :D :D

Buy a rebuild kit, a can of decent carb cleaner and a smallish paint brush. Lay everything out as it comes apart and be particular as you assemble it, you can't go far wrong ;)

most refurb kits come with all the gaskets, a new float needle and a diaphram, also should have a very good exploded diagram so you wont go wrong replacing anything.

Latest posts