How to measure end float....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweat69

Reaction score
Hi I have just taken the engine out of the camper to sort out a few problems
I have took of the fly wheel and heads and barrels but when I pull the front of the pulley backwards and forwards it mores quite a bit.
Know do I measure the end float with the barrels and heads on or can I do it with the heads and barrels off.
I hope that all makes sense.

sweat69 said:
Hi I have just taken the engine out of the camper to sort out a few problems
I have took of the fly wheel and heads and barrels but when I pull the front of the pulley backwards and forwards it mores quite a bit.
Know do I measure the end float with the barrels and heads on or can I do it with the heads and barrels off.
I hope that all makes sense.

You need to have the flywheel fitted & torqued up to measure end float.

Yeah without the flywheel and shims in the crank can move backwards more than it normally would. the engine can be left fully assembled or top end striped it doesnt really matter.

With that you need a vernier caliper, depth mic or DTI gauge. I usually get my dad or another willing helper to pull the flywheel while i measure from the fly wheel to a set point on the case then it back in and measure again to get the diffrence.

You can do it on yer onesy with a DTI and magnetic base fitted to the flywheel and you then just push and pull it and read off the measurement diffrence. :)

young_dubya said:
You can do it on yer onesy with a DTI and magnetic base fitted to the flywheel and you then just push and pull it and read off the measurement diffrence. :)

This is probably the most accurate way of doing it. We did it on mine and then fitted a new silicone flywheel seal and it made a massive improvement.

Latest posts