How to tell if using 1600 or 1641

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vw_mad

Reaction score
Is there any easy way of finding out if I have standard 1600 barrels and pistons compared to 1641 barrels and pistons. Without taking the engine apart and measuring the barrels etc.
Thanks

hmm - tough one - I've done a change from 1600 to 1641 and there wasn't anything obviously different between the two - apart from the casting of the cooling fins on the barrels was definitely of a lesser quality than the OG ones (rougher finish on the cooling veins e.t.c.) - maybe a picture of the barrels if you can see them through the tinware, though on that note first thing I'd check is missing tinware under the barrels themselves as this is a sign that the engine has been taken apart, but not if they have been replaced, can't recall any markings on the barrels externally either - not much use I'm afraid!

Unless you measure the bore there is no accurate way to tell.

Hi lard
When you changed from 1600 to 1641 is there any difference in power etc from engine .??

Hi - there was, but I also put on twin carbs and a bug pack exhaust so couldn't advise how much would be related to the capacity increase, but I get more power/oomph at accelerating - particularly up hills! Was in Kent this weekend and cruising up a big hill, realised I'd quickly dropped to 45mph from 55mph, foot down and actually accelerated back to 55mph - up hill! :D

Sounds good I have twin carbs and bugpack but hills are a slow ride .

lard said:
though on that note first thing I'd check is missing tinware under the barrels themselves as this is a sign that the engine has been taken apart,

Thes are vital and should never be left off.

Without them the cooling air spills out between the barrels (that need very little cooling) and bypasses the cylinder heads (which need the majority of the available cooling).

Latest posts