I cannae do it, captain!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
Flywheel gland nut 🙄

I can't get the bugger undone, and I don't have any scaffold poles or decent gauge angle iron to give myself a bigger lever.

So here's my potentially dumb question... Can I split the case without undoing this nut? I suspect not, but you never know.

Failing that, any tool suggestions available for cheap(-ish)? Doesn't feel worth spending lots of money on something that's to do just this job.

Buy a breaker bar from halfords or some other motor factor, failing that get a bit of pole from a skip or similar you cannie deny the laws of physics

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

A bigger impact hammer is about the same price as one of them, Si!

Breaker bar is looking to be the cheapest... But it would be the only 3/4" tool in my garage, so still feels overkill.

A breaker bar for the good times and the bad

I used a 1/2" one with a 1/2" socket connection

It's a very kind offer, Si, but I don't know how long it'll be between opening it up and sticking it all back together.

Didn't think a 1/2" bar would manage it, but if you reckon it's up for the challenge then that's something I can invest in.

I guess then, for doing it back up to torque spec, I'll just have to rely on some old fashioned math! Had a quick search for torque wrenches that can reach those levels and they're eye watering.

Do the maths George, but get extra clean with the threads first as in light oil and not assembly paste (copper grease) and run that nut up and down several times so that you’re sure you can just about tighten it up with your finger. To get the little tyke off , ;) If you can get any sort of leverage on there and get another pair of hands to keep tapping it with a hammer and a drift or bolt or anything that can get shock into that nut and socket too at the same time, I’m also using the term ‘’’ tapping ‘’’ a little loosely :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,get serious with it :mrgreen:

I've got a 3/4 breaker and socket in runcorn which I don't need anymore(got a Mr torque toolnow,)

As Ozzie has said, you can be misled into using something that provides massive amounts of torque as being the only solution to removing a stubborn bolt. Whilst a long enough lever will eventually get every bolt off, you might end up shearing / rounding / snapping a tool before you reach that point (I’m talking about all bolts in general here).

Giving it some impact will be your friend. If you can support the engine and whatever tool you’re using so that there’s no free play or chance of it slipping off, then give it a few hits with something with plenty of weight behind it (sledgehammer / dead blow mallet etc). All you’re trying to do is crack the bolt loose, and that will just be thread lock or old oil gumming it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh George, just one other thing, I’ve got a one inch drive socket set for little issues like the one you’re having. It’s a cheap and nasty set that quality wise would make you shudder but it’s an inch drive and you’ll be extra unlucky to break it just because it’s big. The whole set with about ten sockets and a mahoosive ratchet was about twenty quid delivered a few years back admittedly but quality only goes so far then size takes over. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, used it three times in ten years. :mrgreen:

There’s an Empi tool which allows you to hit it with a hammer or sledge.

I have tried all of the above mentioned. Buy the tool it’s the best thing you can do and with a few smacks it will break free.
6321756b0280e673df98ed11e9e5c58e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts