I got infected by the bus craze and it has no cure! You?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DongKG

Reaction score
Since I was a kid, when we had our first bug, I had been thinking of driving a bus. About 15 years ago, we bought a 1967 bus, but due to documentation issued, we decided to sell it. I had a bug then.

In the interim, my wife and I bought a Karmann Ghia. Sooner than we think, we got a 1302s bug. Then we acquired a 1970 Fastback that figured out in an accident. Three days thereafter, my wife surprised me by buying a '66 Fasty (Sharky 2).

Now, about fifteen years since we sold the'67 bus, we got another bus. This time a 1972 Bay window bus. Driving one is a different vee-dub experience altogether. The dream of owning and driving a bus has finally came true. Full of fun, indeed!

How were you infected by the bus craze? Tell us your story.

Some pictures of our bus:

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

Johnny said:
oooohhh nice, an ogeee AC unit 8) i like it. nice flowers too :wink:

Thanks, buddy! Yes, that is an OG A/C unit!

Have wanted a 'camper' for years but my interests took me in other car directions, have owned Triumph Vitesses, Doly Sprint, Morris Oxford Series III, Vauxhall Victor FB Estate (sold it to Vauxhall motors for their Museum), Rochdale Olympic x 2, various other 50/60's specials/kit cars ending up finally for the last 7 years with a Caterham 7 that I hillclimbed & sprinted quite competitively over the years.

Sold that last year and bought a Caterham 21 but that sat in the garage not being used so decided I needed something more family orientated so in January I bought 'Hank', my first ever VW and I'm hooked, then bought 'Patrick' about a month ago and there may be some more additions to the fold in the near future :wink: :wink: so I'm definitely hooked good and proper :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and I can hold this site responsible for that but I won't hold it against anyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hello mate and welcome! first type 3 forum, then here, I bet your on the samba aswell :wink: :lol:

Seriously tho, nice bus dood and welcome to the fold 8)

Hello ,nice bus. We got in to the bus scene thru the scooter scene. After many years of riding lambrettas i found i couldn't fit the wife and two kids on it .Out of the blue my wife siad she loved vwbuses ,i bouhgt her a copy of volksworld very soon after that we got our bus , it's a 72 xover that was over three years ago ,we haven't looked back .We have had so many laughs and good times . I am still in to my lambrettas and northern soul but this bus thing has no cure :mrgreen:

I don't think its an infection, its all in the Genes. There is no cure. :shock:

Nice Bus 8)

Hey Doug lovely bus....tell me is a bay still a useable daily driver in the US??

very "arty" pics, would make cool retro posters,like jim i came up from (and still have)the scooter ranks. Who needs speed when you've got style? Does seem to be incurable addiction, but would you want a cure if there was one?

easy said:
Hello mate and welcome! first type 3 forum, then here, I bet your on the samba aswell :wink: :lol:

Seriously tho, nice bus dood and welcome to the fold 8)

LOL! Guilty as charged! I am a regular forumer at the Samba.com. I am DONGKG thereat.

My Type 3 (a.k.a. Sharky 2) is just hybernating for a while! The bus is the latest toy!

Thanks

mrknuckles said:
very "arty" pics, would make cool retro posters,like jim i came up from (and still have)the scooter ranks. Who needs speed when you've got style? Does seem to be incurable addiction, but would you want a cure if there was one?

Thanks, buddy! I guess the cure is far from reality. This is our forth vee-dub! And thinking of getting another one! LOL

pinstriper said:
Hey Doug lovely bus....tell me is a bay still a useable daily driver in the US??

Is this for me? I live in the Philippines and some years back, there were so many bay windows buses everywnere. Now, seeing one on the road is a sight to behold!

Hi Dong.
Lovely crossover you've got there, and a great story! :D

My love afair with veedubs began in about 1970, when I was only 4 years old. My parents hired a brand new Dormobile for the day, and I just loved it.

My parents went on to buy the crossover in my first pic new, and kept it for 18 years. I pretty much learnt to drive in this bus, and used it as a daily for a while.
Sadly my dad sold the bus, and I don't think it exists any more.

img090-3.jpg

I eventually bought my first bay (a late bay) in 1996, which I had for about 9 years. Then I had another late bay for a short time, but I'd always hankered after a 'low lighter' and I guess when the one in the photo below came up, it was just meant to be!

Picture084.jpg

Doug

That is a great story, buddy! You were young when you were introduced to the bus craze. Great bus too!

I'm pretty sure I was conceived in one...it was February or so when it happened my mom lived at home and my dad was stationed in Monterey California and was in the barracks...on the Northern California coast the bus was the only warm place to go! My dad had several buses; 2X '57, 60 subhatch, 1974 Westfalia, and the last one a Taiga green Westfalia. I have a feeling if he would have bought a 1971 bay (upright motor, disc brakes) he might still have one today! My earliest memories had a bus in them, got my first bus when I was 18, hauled a ton of clay by hand from a delivery truck in the front of a pottery shop to the back yard storage shed to pay for it from the pottery shop owner.

I had no idea the numbers of bays in the Philippines was going down. A friend of mine who went there in the late 90's said VW's were everywhere! I love the black and white night shot, with the tropical rain and the palm in the background...stunning...

Graham L said:
Have wanted a 'camper' for years but my interests took me in other car directions, have owned Triumph Vitesses, Doly Sprint, Morris Oxford Series III, Vauxhall Victor FB Estate (sold it to Vauxhall motors for their Museum), Rochdale Olympic x 2, various other 50/60's specials/kit cars ending up finally for the last 7 years with a Caterham 7 that I hillclimbed & sprinted quite competitively over the years.

Sold that last year and bought a Caterham 21 but that sat in the garage not being used so decided I needed something more family orientated so in January I bought 'Hank', my first ever VW and I'm hooked, then bought 'Patrick' about a month ago and there may be some more additions to the fold in the near future :wink: :wink: so I'm definitely hooked good and proper :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and I can hold this site responsible for that but I won't hold it against anyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad you made it..

and your list of cars is far cooler than mine....Renault 5 Gordini, Citroen AX GT, Renault 5 Turbo, Renault Clio 16v (Micra.... :oops: ), and another Clio Williams...

A bit of a theme going on.

But the buses have been much better, 72, 52, 60 and 69, you know a 69 is best.

Jon :mrgreen:

I bought a very rusty [read scrapheap candidate] red 1302s Beetle when I was about 20 for £50 and that was it, totally hooked.

I've still got the bug but hankered after a van for a long time which we found last year. At some point I really really really need a Ghia as well but that's gonna have to wait, at least until we have a place with at least some off road parking!!

The trouble with me is that I get attached so once acquired it means each one's a keeper, I'll never be one of those to real of a long list of dubs that have come and gone :lol:

giraffeinbath said:
The trouble with me is that I get attached so once acquired it means each one's a keeper, I'll never be one of those to real of a long list of dubs that have come and gone :lol:
We share the same sentiments on vw's. Once owned, it is for keep!

Latest posts