Ib-bus's new project '69 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
I just drove my new project home
party00531.gif
bliss1.gif
a solid '69 poptop westy I found just 5 minutes from my house, it was a father and son project never finished because son lost interest, they are a VW family owning a fastback, a T25 and many other VWs in the past.
M plate says it's a customer pick up in Germany and original color is the rare for a westy "Pearl White" :mrgreen:
It currently has a '74 westy interior that will come out, it has some damage in the front nose from the spare tire being pushed in, minor rust around the windshield and needs a new exhaust, it has the California and Westfalia tags on the side, it came with some spare parts like front bumper and correct front seats and other small parts that I still have to go through.
Engine needs some fine tuning and brakes checked but it's a solid project, I will get the mechanics sorted first before it goes to the paint shop.
Here are a few pictures.

newbus013Large.jpg

newbus014Large.jpg

newbus005Large.jpg

newbus008Large.jpg

newbus009Large.jpg

Nice one Jaun :D doing them up is half the fun of having them, and it looks like you have a good base to work from. Get stuck in lad! ;)

Looks like a good project 8)

What's with the plates pop riveted to the outside - looks ugly to me :(

Thank you all for your nice comments, the plans are for it to go back to the original Pearl White and source the original Westfalia interior, I am thinking wood laminate flooring, the engine is Ok and tranny pops out of 3rd gear but I have a nice 1600 engine and good tranny to swap them with. I already had lots of parts from another project I decided not to do so I also have a nice pair of bumpers, new tires, parcel tray, and many other small parts.

gninnam said:
Looks like a good project 8)

What's with the plates pop riveted to the outside - looks ugly to me :(

Those are California only riveted plates, they might not go back in as they are faded and old, but it's nice to find a bus with them still installed as you know for sure it was a California bus,
Cheers all.

After a good wash I began clearing up the interior, bumper guards and front seats I'll use, plans already changed so I'll take the engine out this week and the bus goes to the paint shop right away, after that I will install a 1600 dual port engine and tranny I been saving from a '71 bus, so I might have this bus on the road in a short time (hopefully), I will sort the interior little by little as I source the correct westy bits.
Here are some pictures of the bus and the engine that will go in after the respray.

newbus023Large.jpg

newbus016Large.jpg

newbus021Large.jpg

newbus020Large.jpg

newbus019Large.jpg

My little helper tired after a long working day

newbus024Large.jpg

This is the engine that will go in this bus, pulled from a '71 bus in very good shape

parts038-1.jpg

Another nice little project and on your doorstep Juan, your gonna make a lot of people very jealous.....

Just realised that this must be the bus you offered me (free of charge might I add) last week when we were talking German 8)
It really is too much though........
tell you what you can keep it this time - but if you offer again I'm gonna have to take you up on it ;)

Thanks Araon , I'm excited about this one, I guess I have a whole year to finish it in time for next Vanfest.

Loxy said:
Just realised that this must be the bus you offered me (free of charge might I add) last week when we were talking German 8)
It really is too much though........
tell you what you can keep it this time - but if you offer again I'm gonna have to take you up on it ;)

Funny guy aren't you :mrgreen:
No stinking free buses coming your way, no way Jose ! :lol:

Small update , I replaced the passenger side door with one I had very straight, also took the engine lid, balance and bumpers out as they will be replaced with ones I been saving in very good shape.
They are waiting for the bus this saturday to begin work at the paint ship so I will drop the engine today after work as is being replaced and so they can paint the engine bay.

newbus080Large.jpg

newbus079Large.jpg

This are the parts I will use to replace the ones I took out.

newbus082Large.jpg

newbus083Large.jpg

Looks a nice solid bus. :D Looking forward to seeing it after paint.

Any plans to lower it?

Si

Loxy said:
what happened to the rest of the radio bus???

That was not a radio bus but a bus they used for advertising a coffee shop, it got hit hard on the front , I sourced a front nose but as I was stripping it I noticed the cargo floor had some rust through and it had a very ugly patch on the roof from a previous vent so I decided not to continue that project as it was not originally a camper and that is what I really wanted.
So it is now being parted out and the engine, tranny and some parts will now be in this new project.

Cali_bay said:
Looks a nice solid bus. :D Looking forward to seeing it after paint.

Any plans to lower it?

Si

Thanks Si , I plan to keep it stock height , this will be the bus I am planning to bring to Vanfest next year so I guess I'll let the new owner decide it's final height, besides I do drive to Mexico (5 minutes away from where I live) once in a while and the roads there are not lowered bus friendly.

Cali_bay said:
ib-bus Thanks Si said:
I suppose with the great weather out there, you can forgive a few bumpy roads. 8)

You are right Si , weather here is nice , just wished we had as big shows and as often as you guys have there , oh well you can't have it all I guess.

ib-bus said:
Loxy said:
what happened to the rest of the radio bus???

That was not a radio bus but a bus they used for advertising a coffee shop, it got hit hard on the front , I sourced a front nose but as I was stripping it I noticed the cargo floor had some rust through and it had a very ugly patch on the roof from a previous vent so I decided not to continue that project as it was not originally a camper and that is what I really wanted.
So it is now being parted out and the engine, tranny and some parts will now be in this new project.

Of course - you told me already at vanfest :oops:

Latest posts