ICE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olance

Reaction score
Having a few problems trying to sort out how to get good sounds from the van. I was thinking of a bass speaker under the seat but where to put the mid range etc???? Some speakers in the front doors would help but would quite like some music from the back that isn't going to be muffled by being on the ground next to the bass speaker and only hitting the back seats.

Cheers!

i'm in the middle of installing mine at the moment, Alpine head unit, IPOD, Infinity 6x9's in the back roof cupboard (Westy), but not sure where to put my Alpine 6"s in the front somewhere. Don't want to cut the door cards and i'm not sure there's enough clearance behind the kick panels? - i'm going to have a look at fitting them behind the dash somehow...

I'm also toying with the idea of a bass inside an old 50's pepsi cooler, but don't know how critical the internal volume is for such a bass box? will have to do a bit of research i suppose!

Sorry haven't really answered your question, but added a couple of mine tho!!!

olance,

Have you thought about putting a sub under the seat but not actually pointing it into the open part of the van (ie. have it pointing upwards to the underside of the seat, or backwards). This should allow you the necessary deepness of the bass, without affecting the clarity of the speakers if you were to also have them mounted under the seat (but obviously facing out). Just a thought.

Personally that's the option I'd go for when our van is done. - A pair of 6" components in the front doors, a pair of 6x9s under the seat pointing out, and a 10-13" sub under the seat pointing up, properly ported.

Popcorn Balls,

internal volume is one of the most inportant thing when creating a sub enclosure, and is so often overlooked. people really don't realise what a difference a properly set up sub can make to a badly set up sub. If you're dead set on using the cooler as an enclosure (and it sounds like a good idea) then I'd measure the internal volume and then look for a sub that works best at that volume. The only thing I'd be worried about would be that a 50's cooler is probably gonna be made of metal, and that's gonna screw the magnets in your sub big time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that jabbo,

Yes the cooler is metal, but it's aluminium, so being non ferrous am i right in thinking this won't affect the sub?

I think that there is an old thread on here about ICE by scampi, lots of ideas on there, if I can only find it?

Totally agree with the cooler idea, it is a great one indeed, but may create a weird sound. You could always make one out of wood? would be a great winter project 8) MDF can be sculptured into a great curvy cooler shape 8) really easily. :wink:

Theres the link! nice one scampi :wink:

cheers everyone, will ponder this one for a while I think ..... let me know how you all get on!!

Latest posts