Ignition Lock Cylinder & Barrel Weirdness

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymrusteve

Reaction score
Finally getting around to replacing the hack of an ignition switch installed by the PO on my 71 Westy:

521401.jpg

Managed to source replacement parts (housing, lock and ignition starter-switch)

1050186.jpg

but something doesn't seem right with the lock barrel within the cylinder.

Everything lines up when the key is in the off position, but when the key is turned clockwise, the barrel recesses about 5mm into the cylinder:

Key off:

1050185.jpg

Key turned:

1050184.jpg

1050183.jpg

You should be able to make out the recess in the above two photos.

I'm assuming this is not normal, but don't really have anything to compare it to. Posted the same question over at TheSamba.com this morning - an extra set of thoughts/comments would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Quite alright, there were different makes for the same parts (a little like ATE or Girling calipers) and each are slightly different.

You just need to fit it now

Cheers. Yeah, I had it fitted yesterday, didn't think it was quite right so took it out again. So much better than the old botch job!

Just reading through the recent Fire Suppression thread and noticed the recessed ignition switch on the Fireboy van --

dashboardlight_zpsa768a921.jpg

Looks like mine is okay after all! :)

That Fireboy system looks great by the way. Tempted...

THATS WHAT MAKES THE STEERING LOCK GO IN AND OUT,you need it to work now to get a MOT.

Latest posts