Ignition timing 009

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricksum

Reaction score
I have a 009 on my 1584 single port with stock carburettor and crank pulley.
Still can't understand how to set the ignition timing.Any simple explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks for that but a stock crank pulley only has basic notches how do you know where the 30* advance is.

First job is to find TDC (top-dead-centre). Another guide on the same site covers this: http://vw-resource.com/find_tdc.html
I use the straw/screwdriver/whatever down the spark plug #1 hold to do it myself with very good results.

Once found - mark it on the pulley!

Then with a bit of maths you can work out 30 degrees.

The link shared does state:

From the TDC mark, measure 46.5 mm to the right on the rim of the crankshaft pulley, around the pulley rim (not across). This is 30 degrees BTDC

Thanks.Think I will swap to a standard distributor as the 009 is the only non stock item on the vehicle.I haven't had the bus that long and thought it seemed quite thirsty from previous experience.Many years back I achieved 31 mpg on a early bay without a interior which I thought was very good.
This one has a very good and tight engine but only achieving about 25 mpg.
So the 009 has to go.

When I refit a stock vacuum advance distributor I would prefer a original version that has been refurbished if they are available.VW heritage offer a new one by SSP for very little money but are they good quality.
Any idea where a good quality dizzy could be sourced?

I've been using my Accuspark electronic vac advance merrily for years.
Purchased straight from the manufacturer: http://www.accuspark.co.uk/distributors.html#VW

I switched from an 009 to an SVDA and never looked back. The bus drives 100% better than it did.
Oh, and points? No thanks. I've spent too many years dealing with those, never going back.
Edit: this is the one I bought, incredibly good for the price: https://simonbbc.com/bosch-034-svda-type-distributor/

I’m going to ditto this. I had points and a 009. I went to France and had 3 none start issues all cheap points. I didn’t have a spare stupidly. ALso ditched 009 and bought SVDA again I think the bus runs better and smoother

Tricksum said:
When I refit a stock vacuum advance distributor I would prefer a original version that has been refurbished if they are available.VW heritage offer a new one by SSP for very little money but are they good quality.
Any idea where a good quality dizzy could be sourced?
If you have a H30/31 Carb you’ll be better off sourcing a single vac advance (only) dizzy, the shorter type with the bigger vac can, something like a 113905205T ... I’ve refurbished a few myself, really easy to strip and clean and what a difference once fitted. Night and day versus the 009.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty74.Thank you for confirming the results of my research.That is exactly what I intend to do.
My engine is in a very good condition and pulls strong and I've had no issues whilst running the 009 in the 3k I've driven it but I want to rule out any possibility of overheating.
Could you point me in the direction of where I could buy a 113 905 205T that has been restored.
I thought the service parts for such a distributor were unavailable.

009 dissys were mainly for fixed running set ups like commercial engines on pumps and things or just to run flat out as per racing set ups. But for general purposes you really need an adjustable dissy that will automatically adjust (advance) to what you’re doing with revs and pedal etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,mainly :mrgreen:

Yep and while they are great for getting power out of engines at higher RPM, they suck low down. I got tired of almost stalling at junctions and the massive flat spot pulling away when you have the impatient Audi guy behind you hovering over the horn....

Tricksum said:
Matty74.Thank you for confirming the results of my research.That is exactly what I intend to do.
My engine is in a very good condition and pulls strong and I've had no issues whilst running the 009 in the 3k I've driven it but I want to rule out any possibility of overheating.
Could you point me in the direction of where I could buy a 113 905 205T that has been restored.
I thought the service parts for such a distributor were unavailable.
If you’re handy, then take a punt on a used dizzy on eBay, strip it down and see what you’re faced with.

The biggest risk is usually the vac can, you’ve got a 50/50 chance with that being ok and the bigger models are a lot harder to get hold of ... you can get them, but they’re pricey.

Once stripped and cleaned it’s usually the fibre washers that have disintegrated, these are pence on eBay.

Anything other than that www.VWNOS.com has most of the necessary parts, they’re in USA so you will incur tax etc.

They also sell refurbished distributors, if you’d rather just buy from them, pricey but if you’re keeping things stock then worth it.

There’s a document on Samba called Bosch Tune Up parts ... this has all the Dizzys listed per engine and carb which I found handy as there were a few compatible models, example 111905205AA replaced the 113905205T ... 205K and 205M are also good options.

5bfc814f550fb724ab5b7c5ed8159c84.jpg

Best part is (from memory) the timing set up is TDC at idle, dizzy then advances to 32deg - 35deg under full load, so no chance of running too hot like you suggested.

I usually test the cans with a hand held vac pump once everything has been stripped and cleaned up to ensure the range is good and the vac holds. They’re usually all in by 80-100mm Hg

dc41271e735ce08a2a6863637cd2a82c.jpg

Mine runs the best it’s ever run, I do have a Petronix Ignition module fitted and Flamethrower Coil ... and I carry a spare Dizzy too [emoji6].

In fact, thanks as you’ve just reminded me that I have a Genuine Bosch 009 with Petronix Ignitor II in the shed. Need to get that on eBay as I won’t be using it anytime soon.

Out of interest I took an Accuspark SVDA dizzy apart (it was lockdown, I was bored) ... it wasn’t well made at all.

For stock, it’s Bosch all the way for me ... go for it, you won’t regret it.

Bringing one back to life is also very rewarding [emoji106]

7dd58d7672c159859a3e2f4594ee5431.jpg

Fibre washers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts