import Registering nightmare

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheadlebee71

Reaction score
Hi guys
We got our 1971 westy from a guy who kindly imported it for us from Cali. Unfortunately it did not come with any original registration certificates and this is proving a nightmare when trying to get it UK registered!
Can anyone give us any advice on the process? The dvla are sending the forms through, but say they will need some proof of ownership and manufacture dates etc... We're totally clueless!!!
Cheers
Paul and Kelly

Hi Paul I also have a van with no title you can get a birth certificate from the below link, comes from the Vw museum and has build date, date is left the factory, destination, build spec and colour.
It will cost you £40 and took about 2 weeks to get to me.
http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/index.php?id=12&L=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Sam

Hi Sam,

Cheers for this! Is this all I'd need now then along with application, mot and insurance?

You will prob also need the proof of customs duty paid.
There was a thread on here last week detailing what you need to register a bus.
Graham L is a good source of knowledge on the matter.

Yes this is all you need, there is another type of certificate you can have that gives you proof of origin and the when it was built, that's available from VW hq in Milton Keynes.

Then just your application form, mot and insurance. I think you may also need proof that the import duty has been paid.

Cheers

Austin

Look in the general section and the thread is in there.

Cheers for the replies....
Small problem though, it seems that the guy we got it from did not give us the hmrc form! Guessing this puts us in a bad situation? We've left him a voice message - lets hope he still has the paper work?

If its been paid, hmrc will still have records and will give a copy, maybe for a fee. Or find out what shipping agent was used, they will have a copy for sure and probably give you it for free.

Latest posts