Importing a van - advice needed please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWFURGOJURG

Reaction score
Hi

My T2 Jurgens Autovilla hits the docks in about 10 days time and my plan is to get it all sorted and ready for a trip down to Spain in the Summer. However I have no idea what I need to do to register it etc once the shipping agent hands it over. Lots of people say it is easy, but most of the websites that offer advice want a fee for sorting. could anyone just briefly explain in simple terms what i need to do once I get my van off the tow truck at my house! Any help would be REALLY appreciated! (UK)

Insure it , they will insure on chassis number
then fairly straight forward

V55/5 form to register think its £55
will need
Mot
Insurance Cert
HM Customs Nova Form to state no duty is due
tax it
get plates made
Think thats it
Good Luck

Chico

When I imported mine from SA the shippers forwarded the documents to me which if I remember right was a Reg doc and an export doc and I sent them into DVLA (after taking photocopies of everything) and also sent them second class signed for we all hear these stories about DVLA losing docs. Good luck and enjoy

Main thing is to make sure your paperwork is 100% the first time when you send it. Delays happen when stuff gets sent back wrong, lost in post etc.

Get it right first time and these days its normally back in 7 working days. (My bus and lambretta ones did)

Heres a copy and paste from an earlier post I did

Include..

Original Log book from whatever country (Or dating cert from VW if missing)
Nova Proof or number
Insurance Cert
MOT Cert
v55/5 form
Cheque for £55 reg fee
Cheque for tax if not tax exempt
Photocopy of both sides of your Card drivers licence.

Oh and cover letter :)

Stick a special delivery prepaid envelope in as well to speed things up. Trust me with DVLA if you go in belts and braces it makes the process a lot quicker.

And send special delivery the bloke down the pub will say 'the dvla don't sign for post' but at least youll have a set date it made it there if you ever need to argue your case further down the line

As above, send all the paperwork done correctly and you're laughing.

I had my logbook in about 2 weeks from sending the v55/5 off. I also included a SAE and asked them to kindly return the original US title doc (they don't usually do this just incase someone tries to use it again - but I wanted mine for the history!) and they returned all of my documents the following week.

You'll have to make sure your bus is up to UK MOT spec before you take it in - UK lighting importantly if everything else is up to scratch.

Do i need a certificate of conformity guys? wasn't sure so registered with VW anyway, now its asking me for a 17 signs vehicle identification number but none of my paperwork seems to include the number of letters etc necessary. I am told all paperwork in van is in order (arrives Monday) Thanks in advance.

Do i need a certificate of conformity guys? wasn't sure so registered with VW anyway, now its asking me for a 17 signs vehicle identification number but none of my paperwork seems to include the number of letters etc necessary. I am told all paperwork in van is in order (arrives Monday) Thanks in advance.

Latest posts