indicator fault

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, newbie owner of a 72 crossover asking for a bit of advice on an electrical problem that occurred last time I was driving in the rain after the Kent Festival. Starting with my generator light coming on dull on the dashboard, which went out after I restarted the engine. However afterwards I had no indicators, left or right. The hazards still work, but a short somewhere causes the fuel gauge to move from zero to fuel level when on, and causes the generator light to flash between dull and bright with the hazards. I've removed each lamp in turn, with no change to the fault. The alternator appears to be OK, with a voltage of over 13 volts. The battery may be suspect, as it was completely flattened by the alarm, but passed the starting drop test OK. The flasher unit has been replaced with a new item, with no change, but it has previously been moved from the fuse box to below the headlamps with additional wiring. I obviously have a short somewhere, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi i had the same problem last year and it turned out to be the relay even after buying new ones from gsf /hertiage etc i ended up finding a second hand vw one and it solved the problem , stay away from the chinese made ones, hope this helps .David

Hi, I had something similar and it turned out to be a fuse, looked ok but I cleaned them all and the contacts on the fuse box, also check all the spades are tight on the back of the fuse box too while your at it, job was a "good un for me"......id go through them first.

Hope its a simple fix for you too...................kev

Many thanks for your suggestions, will have an attempt at cleaning up the contacts tomorrow, as well as checking out the instrument panel and indicator stalk for any shorts. I do have 2 flashers, so will try the other, and see if I can find a good working unit, even if I have to borrow one!
Adam

My RHS rear indicator was fading during our recent travels, tracked it down to be a loose earth connection from that indicator so I would check all these connections. I'm gonna check all mine now and replace where required with SS self tapers

I seem to have sorted out the problem, but still not sure exact what was the cause was! Moved the flasher unit back to the fuse box rather than using the extension cables that had been fitted, and cleaned up the connections on the hazard warning switch..and removed the 40 years of fluff that had accumulated there. All working fine now...just hope it stays that way.
Once again thank you all for suggestions and advice
Adam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts