Indicator lights fault ‘72 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude7789

Reaction score
‘72 Westy.
Am I correct in thinking if my hazard lights work then the flasher relay is ok?
I was messing with my indicator housing wiring and accidentally shorted the brown earth to the live feed (indicators were flashing at the time).
A little spark and all indicators now not working but hazards do work.
Hazards now make the speedo needle jump.
Red generator light now stays lit also.
Anyone shed any light on this?
All fuses look to be good although it’s a bit of a mess and could easily be a hidden inline fuse somewhere.
Also can’t find the flasher relay for the life of me, I can hear it clicking when the hazards are working, is it in behind the fuse board?
Thanks.

I found this wiring diagram in my workshop manual which shows it’s a shared flasher unit so would likely mean something has gone wrong with indicator stalk switch itself?

Flasher relay and the headlight relay are plugged into the top of the fuse box, which if still in its original position is just under the screen behind the dash. Problem with them being here is if the screen leaks the water runs into the fuse box ... when i rebuilt mine and fitted a new loom i sited the fuse box on the front of the fresh air box to get away from this issue. Mine were rusty inside due to water ingress but still working so replaced them anyway. I would suggest replacing the relay to test it as the indicator stem is an issue for a crossover .... as in rare and not available as a direct replacement. If lucky you can find a working original (try Desi Yates) or maybe a NOS unit like i did .. cost me over £200 though for the unit
Also the indicators i believe are double fused so one for the left and one for the right ... check this but if right unlikely to be a fuse issue.
It is a single flasher for the indicator and hazard lights you are correct

Thanks but I'm sorted now, turned out it was a grotty fuse terminal, cleaned it up and now all good.

Latest posts