Indicator relay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubaroo

Reaction score
Hi there, The indicators packed up while on hols, having removed the relay it is badly corroded, it is a 2 pin, I assume it it is the original, but I am struggling to find a replacement, they all seem to be either 3 or 4 pin, any help welcome, cheers Kevin.

try Peter Good...at..
http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2z3ta45.jpg

Hi there, I have been told my relay was discontinued in 2000, advice I have so far, is adapt a modern 3 pin, or try a motorcycle 2 terminal relay.

Tried 3 local shops today, only 3 or 4 pin. also heritage, GSF & cool air,they only had 3 or 4 as well, will try the http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on monday.

dubaroo said:
Tried 3 local shops today, only 3 or 4 pin. also heritage, GSF & cool air,they only had 3 or 4 as well, will try the http://www.volksgoods.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on monday.

I bought a two pin last week...fits a LandRover I think (amongst other things) (£3.80)

the relay in the pic is a key in buzzer not the indicator.
heres mine, I took it out of my fusebox cause its annoying!

If you have an original indicator relay it should be the same as my old one;

I use a modern one now like this; although I have to piggyback the KBL to the 49a to get the dash warning lights working. :roll:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/interior_parts/indicator_switch_parts/12_volt_indicator_relay_4_terminals_11fslash68-7fslash70_743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Mike for the photos, that makes more sense, I realise I've had the wrong advice! I have the large black relay,I did have doubts when I took the relay out of my T25 and noticed the terminal numbers were the same ie. 49,49a & 31 as the black one. And there was some confusion as to why the hazard warning side still worked, and dash warning lights and fuel gauge were affected.
As a buzzer It has never worked, so do I not need to worry about replacing it?
Not sure how to fit the new one with the different shape terminals, or 'piggy back' it in.

KARL ARVID STENBERG said:
Hello

i have x2 of the relay you are wanting

one are new old stock

one are used

if you would like too buy please

thank you

karl

Which ones do you have the big black one?

Hello

no i have the silver small ones

111 951 307

i did not know they was buzzer relay , so thank you for that

if wanted still please email too say

i would say 10 pounds for new relay

and 5 pounds for used relay

thank you

karl

mike202 said:

I use a modern one now like this; although I have to piggyback the KBL to the 49a to get the dash warning lights working. :roll:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/interior_parts/indicator_switch_parts/12_volt_indicator_relay_4_terminals_11fslash68-7fslash70_743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

Any ideas where you would get a original one from? Is that the correct number for a us 70 westy? Mine has some relay wired in, no tell tale lights, had to wire a buzzer for the mot...

Cheers,

Alistair

The VW Parts Book lists 211 953 215 C as:
Relay- Emergency flashing indicator light 12V 4x21 W.
From chassis # 219 000 001 to 210 2300 000. (August '68 to end July '70)
Also lists it as applicable to some '68 model year applications (ambulance, LHD models)

aogrady said:
mike202 said:

Hi,

Any ideas where you would get a original one from? Is that the correct number for a us 70 westy? Mine has some relay wired in, no tell tale lights, had to wire a buzzer for the mot...

Cheers,

Alistair

Alistair, not quite sure what you mean :oops:
the relays in my post were taken from my 1970 westy import I can only assume they are original. If you have no tell tale try doing what I did, although as I sure you will realise the dash bulbs could have gone.
Why did you have to wire in a key-in buzzer for the MOT?? :msn4: This is not a requirement.

mike202 said:
aogrady said:
mike202 said:

Hi,

Cheers,

Alistair

Alistair, not quite sure what you mean :oops:
the relays in my post were taken from my 1970 westy import I can only assume they are original. If you have no tell tale try doing what I did, although as I sure you will realise the dash bulbs could have gone.
Why did you have to wire in a key-in buzzer for the MOT?? :msn4: This is not a requirement.

Hi,

I'll bear the wiring in mind, I have sourced a replacement instead of the hacked in one i have, so will see how i get on.

I needed to fit a buzzer so when the indicators were on, as the tell tale indicator lights didnt work on the dash, i needed a buzz instead - either visual or audable tell tale is needed, not the keys in buzz.

This was 2 years back, it may be that the tester had the details wrong, it may have been from 1986 onwards, I dont know, but if something simple would cause it to fail, I',m all for fixing it!

The buzz was just to get me through the mot, i was going to replace the relay with a OG one, but as it was working, never got around to it

Cheers,

Alistair

right- I see now! You have to have either a visible or audible alert for the indicators.

Hope you get the dash tell tale lights for the indicators working ok. I'm sure it's something simple.

mike202 said:
right- I see now! You have to have either a visible or audible alert for the indicators.

Hope you get the dash tell tale lights for the indicators working ok. I'm sure it's something simple.

That's it. As for the tell tale lights, it should be something simple, i did check the bulbs but no different, i'll return the relay back to stock and will start from the beginning.

As for dash lights, the alternator light stopped a long time ago, still charges and works fine, that bulb seems ok too AFAIK, must be some iffy wires somewhere.....

Cheers,

Alistair

The 4-pin flasher relay I needed for my 1970 van indicators was missing and because of the broken mess of my fusebox and other missing one-year-only difficulties, I changed it to 1973-on, so the original relay wouldn't physically fit.

No worries, I thought; I have a 4-pin flasher relay for a 1973 bus that fits my fusebox.

The problem is that the indicator tell-tales in the T2 dash have an ignition feed and need grounding to illuminate.
But all the 4-pin flasher relays around today (it seems) are designed for tell-tales that are grounded and need 12V to illuminate.

The traditional fix is to use a 3-pin relay, and piggyback the tell-tale lights onto the main flash output, so that the tell-tales illuminate by grounding through the main indicators (obviously when they are in the OFF flash phase).

And there are online VW parts retailers that sell the 4-pin relay for bays with a note to the effect "if the dash tell-tales don't illuminate, connect the blue/red wire to the black/green/white wire" (i.e. use only 3 pins of the 4 pin relay!)

However, grounding the tell-tales through the indicators means they are out-of sync with each other, so that when the hazards are on, you get an alternating red/green flashing effect between the hazard switch and the dash tell-tale.

Dissatisfied with that, and having an electronics-related day-job, I decided to take my black plastic 4-pin relay (DNI 0831) apart to see if it could be adapted. Pins are labelled 31, 49, 49a, KBL. It doesn't work as-is because KBL is a high-side switch for grounded tell-tales.

I was slightly surprised to find it was all surface-mount electronics inside, but I found the NPN emitter-follower KBL output stage and I was able to remove, re-solder and reconfigure it as open-collector (i.e. low-side switch for 12v-fed tell-tales).

Now the KBL pin works as VW intended and tell-tales are in-phase with the indicators and the hazard switch lamp.

Quite why VW decided both tell-tales should be tied together I don't know, and I have seen modification details to make them independent, but I chose to leave mine functioning as originally specified.

Most of the online diagrams I have seen for 4-pin relays have a similar NPN output stage and could therefore probably be modified in a similar fashion.

I can provide more details if anyone's interested, but there's a risk of inducing sleep.

Latest posts