Indicator Switch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearls cafe

Reaction score
I need to sort the indicator switch on my 71 californian import westy.

Until earlier today, I could not indicate left without holding the switch down, right was OK as was headlight dip/main.

It's been like this a while and I thought that before I invested £100+ on a new switch I'd see if I could get it to work by taking it apart/cleaning it etc.

Removed the switch from the column (still wired) and had a little play with it and managed to get the LH switch to work a couple of times before giving up and refitting it.

Now the dip/main and LH will not work so will have to go for a new one.

Has anyone bought/fitted one? C&C have 15% off this weekend so seems like a good time to buy but I've seen on the Samba that the aftermarket ones are a bit hit and miss.

Also, not sure whether American spec ones differ or whether the replacements are universal?

Any help would be appreciated before I part with my hard earned.

Thanks

If it were me mate, I'd take it off,get it degreased & get it in the kitchen table. They are quite simple in operation.the beauty of old stuff is that you can *see* what is happening.

If you can solder (it's not hard matey) you may find it better to clean up and re solder the soldered connections.they can break down with age.

There should be two springs to hold the arm in either the 'right' or the 'left' position. Check they are in place.

The main beam switch is on the underneath of the switch. Just a piece of copper that bends to touch a tip,looks a bit like the tip on ignition points. The indicator contacts are moved onto the relevant connection as the arm is moved.check they are clean and the copper 'tab' still has its tension/springiness so it makes a good contact with the fixed contact.

Hth? - regards,Rob

Thanks Rob,

Yes I feel that I ought to be able to repair it particularly as I managed to get it to work a couple of times before making it worse.

Can't really see how to remove it though? I managed to get the main switch off the column but there are two screws on the side of the unit which wont budge. One has been rounded off (by someone else) and the other seems to want to go the same way. I don't think I can get to the actual switch mechanics without removing these. Any suggestions?

Also, how do I remove the wires. They go through the steering column bracket but I can't see where they come out the other side. Is it just a case of climbing under the dash to find them or do I need to remove something to get to them ie steering wheel/instrument panel?

Appreciate your help!

Had this exact same issue. the problem lies in the metal lug that sticks on the little cam when indicating as it should be squared but it rounds off over time so doesnt hold. In order to fix it in needs filing back square. I' ve tried doing this in situ but it didnt work, and as like you ended up breaking and resoldering wires. Bought 2nd hand one off the samba with working mech, but wires cut and stalk in far worse condition. Also looks like the mech is riveted together :-(

Will make a good one out the two one day

Undo the bracket holding the column to the dash, take the dash pod out, and you'll see easily where the 8 wires feed to. You can do it by looking underneath but wont be so easy, i just happened to be fitting new clocks when i did it :)

without wanting to appear too stupid, if I want to take the dash pod out is it just a matter of undoing the 4 screws and removing speedo cable or do I need to remove heater levers too. If so, how?

thanks

They are simple to take apart and re assemble if you lay it all out as it came apart. If it is fooked I believe Karmann Konnection sell new 8 wire US spec stalks for about £90

Pearls cafe said:
without wanting to appear too stupid, if I want to take the dash pod out is it just a matter of undoing the 4 screws and removing speedo cable or do I need to remove heater levers too. If so, how?

thanks

There are clips holding the front part of the heater levers with the coloured ends onto the rear section behind the dash. You'll need to take the pins out before the front parts unclip, and then the dash pod will come out after undoing the 4 screws and disconnecting the speedo cable.

Westy Richardson said:
They are simple to take apart and re assemble if you lay it all out as it came apart. If it is fooked I believe Karmann Konnection sell new 8 wire US spec stalks for about £90

Hi can you shed some light on how to break the rivets and fit back together please, ive looked at the spare one i have and cant see how it comes apart easily?

thanks

Ok, so I have to confess to buying a new switch.

Figured that by the time I dismantled everything to remove the old one, if I couldn't fix it would then have to wait for a new one to arrive anyway and I do like to use the bus regularly.

New one arrived this morning, all now fitted and working.

Just have to work out now how to refit the plastic clips to the heater levers! and resolve the fact that it doesn't self cancel when indicating left.

Incidentally, I think it would be possible to carry the work out without removing the clocks as all bar one connection are immediately above the steering column bracket and easily accessible once the bracket has been removed. The other connection goes to the hazard switch and is visible through the slots for the heater levers. However, my wire had become wedged under the wiper switch so the only way to get to it was by removing the clocks in order to free it.

Thanks again for all the advice, I have fully working indicators for the first time in 2 years!

Nugsy said:
Westy Richardson said:

Hi can you shed some light on how to break the rivets and fit back together please, ive looked at the spare one i have and cant see how it comes apart easily?

thanks

I must confess, I've never had a Volkswagen stalk apart but have had repaired one off a BMW from the same era. They all work the same way. Could you not use a small drill bit?

The control levers are fitted thus.... For each of the 4 levers,There should be a flexible springy metal clip about an inch long with a hole,a narrow part & a bent piece at the end, like a letter J. A little plastic clip like a round button and of course the control lever,2red,2blue.

The metal flexible springy clip slides down on the inside of the main lever with the J end hooked over at the top.now you can insert the red or blue control lever so the springy clip is trapped between the main lever & the control lever.now line up the holes in the main lever/springy clip/control lever. Now the little plastic clip, like a little button, pushes through all three to hold them all together - job done. The hardest thing is getting to it,easiest is to take the dash top off or if you can fit, on your back on the cab floor reaching up.

Hth?! -Rob

Nugsy said:
Had this exact same issue. the problem lies in the metal lug that sticks on the little cam when indicating as it should be squared but it rounds off over time so doesnt hold. In order to fix it in needs filing back square. I' ve tried doing this in situ but it didnt work, and as like you ended up breaking and resoldering wires. Bought 2nd hand one off the samba with working mech, but wires cut and stalk in far worse condition. Also looks like the mech is riveted together :-(

Will make a good one out the two one day

Had mine off today as the indictor wont stay on on mine either, but cant figure which bit I need to file square. Has anyone got a picture they could post of which bits which please?

Cheers

There were 8 on mine (71 US Westy)
Black/red
Black/purple
Black/white
Black/yellow
Black/green
Black/white/green
Brown/white
Brown

Yep, as above the 71 has 8 wires. I ended up buying one of these as its way cheaper than in the UK and was buying other bits too $129. Superb service as always from EIS:

http://www.eisparts.com/211953513G.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

211953513G-300.jpg

Latest posts