info on 1971 bus needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirzy

Reaction score
Just a few pictures of our van benny he has a lot of work needed, but really would like some info on what he really is as new to all this stuff. He was registered in Sept 1971 and his has doors that open on both sides,however one is permanently closed due to viking interior :!: . thanks stirzy :D :D

IMG]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/stirzy/benny22.jpg[/IMG]
bennybed.jpg

bennyblowshistop.jpg

bennybum.jpg

bennypop.jpg

bennyside.jpg

benny.jpg
benny1.jpg
benny2.jpg

What you have there mate is a very unique bus, never seen anything like it specially being a double door with one not being used. Lovely bus though, I like that color a lot and the interior looks in very good shape.
Cheers.

If you have a look behind the nearside seat you hopefully will have a vin and a M plate the M plate retains an awfull lot of info if you put this into the M plate decoder I think it can be accessed via FAQs cant remember off hand....

as said its a double slider more commonly used on panels but also on airfield vans and specials etc.....

Colour is just grey primer which is now unfortunately rusting :( , have paint savanah beige and off white but need it stripping right back and been advised to do it with david's zinc primer first :) . However it is parked in back street as no garage or lock up :x , need fine days and as we live in cumbria weather is now changing, and not many fair days ahead. Took it to wales camping and a guy with a gorgeous splitty said he had never seen anything like it either :!: :!: :D . Have had new cab floor welded in by a friend and few bits done to pass MOt, but beneath the primer I fear he at least 50% filler :( , will just have to keep plodding, bit by bit but I dont ever want to take him off the road, he needs a daily run to keep the two of us happy Alison Stirz. Afew days ago we jacked him up and I hammerited all underside of new floor, what a job :!: , not helped by Phil kicking the tin over :evil: and having to clean back street with wire brush and fairy liquid to keep neighbours happy :oops: Any way once had a bath and back to my former self;, not that of some weird looking friesian set for the dairy :lol: I slept well knowing Id done a good job :D :D :D

Yeah primer is porous so you want to get something on top of that.....

even if you wax it for now and seal for the winter and get prepared/save to spray it next year as the weather picks up....

Piddleing it down today so no chance of doing owt, but can you tell me is hammerite ok for underside as if it is eventually I'll wirebrush and coat the whole underbelly :?: :?: And to tell you the truth didn't mind the rub down with nail polish remover to get the paint off :lol: :lol:

My Dad had a 76 Viking back in 1980 with identical roof / interior to yours - the space you have your baskets in on the right as you go in the (left) sliding door had an Electrolux 3 way fridge in it on his. A guy in the VWDRC now has the Viking - couldn't beleive my eyes when I spotted it in the pits at Bug Jam a few years ago (the interior has sadly gone now though - been replaced with a Moonraker one).

Nice van by the way - would love a double door myself one day :)

Thanks for the great comments, I like rare things (everyone has said on forum so far it is unusual). I must have an eye for it as I've the only dog in my town like this, an she is a show stopper (if you are into dogs that is) :) :) :)
Picture0034.jpg

Looks to be in good shape (although pictures can be deceiving ;) )
Cant see the point of fitting twin sliders then blocking 1 up :? , maybe the interiors not the correct 1 for the van and was addedby a previous owner?
As said though have a look at the M code plate behind the drivers or passenger seat (cant remember which 1 :oops: ) and i'm sure 1 of the M plate guru's will tell you the exact origins of your van
Most of all though there is a rule on this site that must be obeyed WE NEED MORE PICTURES :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to early bay
where I take my bus for its mot, one of the young mechs has a '76 with that viking interior he has 3 or 4 very young kids
but says they love all sleeping in the roof :)
All that brown leatherette...so 70's...you gotta love it 8)

Just adding a few pics of van we've just reprimed the front as covered in rust :cry: :cry: Also autosoled the chrome on lights, as previous owner left them on whilst priming :roll: :roll: and we sprayed and cleaned inside of blinkers :D :D Just need to order new rubbers for them as they are shot :( :( Anyway here are pics.....
096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

Going to finish spraying badge and grill with smooth hamerite tommorow to protect from rust :D
Then turtle wax primer to seal for winter as can't afford respray as yet :x :x , just keeping the old boy alive for now ;) ;)

Bit of a rareity to see an Viking conversion on an Early bay. Ive got one which was a panel van conersion done early eighties, not seen many more around.
I think its the ugulyist roof you can get, but by god there is a hell of a lot of room up there, both of our children can sleep up there no problems.

Agree with you about roof :oops: :oops: but the size of the interior is what attracted us to bus as have 5 in family and two dogs :) :) . Interior also has plenty of storage and a cool cooker that comes right out and attatches to table for outdoor eats :p :p
DSC00243.jpg

Latest posts