Initial engine break-in setup — running rough

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been out on this again this evening and noted the following:

The distributor is quite stiff and always tries to spring back to a "favourite" position—is this normal?

The timing light I am using is always on, rather than being off and coming on. Also, it only seems to work when I rotate the engine backward (anti-clockwise). During normal (clockwise) rotation, the light doesn't ever go off.
I think you had your doubts about the distributor early on. If it’s a genuine Bosch, strip it down and clean it up, fairly straightforward (provided there’s no internal damage) once the bottom pin is out. New fibre washers are available, I found some on eBay.

Glad you’re getting it sorted though 👍.

Unfortunately not, it's a powespark or accuspark SVDA—handily powerspark are 10 mins away from me in Bromsgrove, I doubt they are open today (Bank Holiday) but going to head over now just in case!

I would bin the powerspark, they are cheap for a reason.

I'd love to invest in a decent dizzy/ignition setup but I'm getting married in a fortnight and just need to get it working ASAP so it can take center stage! 😅 What would you recommend @Graham L —pertronix?

Can you not just stick your 009 on to get it running then source a genuine Bosch? They’re out there.

Agreed about the cheaper dizzy’s, I pulled one apart out of interest (it was on my bus when I got it) and it wasn’t put together well at all.

Is it too late to add a 123 Distributor to your wedding list? 😉🤣

Hope you get it running soon 👍

I'd love to invest in a decent dizzy/ignition setup but I'm getting married in a fortnight and just need to get it working ASAP so it can take center stage! 😅 What would you recommend @Graham L —pertronix?
Unfortunately the quality of pertronix units has gone downhill as well, save your money for a 123.

The culmination of 12 years of struggle! Plenty to do, but plenty done...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-05-12 at 20.52.11.mp4
    2.7 MB
I was always a big advocate of Petronix and always recommended them. had 1 in my bus for years when it had a 1600. It ended up in my bug when I went to a Mallory cdi system in my Stroker motor and eventually died beginning if last year after 15 yrs. since then I’ve gone through 2 newer kits at £130 a time 😡 I’ve now gone back to points and condenser in the bug as the quality is so bad these days.

My take on it these days is unless you require a fancy system like msd or Mallory etc then just stick with points, inexpensive and reliable.

I was always a big advocate of Petronix and always recommended them. had 1 in my bus for years when it had a 1600. It ended up in my bug when I went to a Mallory cdi system in my Stroker motor and eventually died beginning if last year after 15 yrs. since then I’ve gone through 2 newer kits at £130 a time 😡 I’ve now gone back to points and condenser in the bug as the quality is so bad these days.

My take on it these days is unless you require a fancy system like msd or Mallory etc then just stick with points, inexpensive and reliable.

I am so glad you’ve said that as that’s where I am with it too. I’m still using an old 09 and it’s great. And yes to the fancy pants stuff only if you really need it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,why does stuff go from great to gruesome ? :)

I am so glad you’ve said that as that’s where I am with it too. I’m still using an old 09 and it’s great. And yes to the fancy pants stuff only if you really need it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,why does stuff go from great to gruesome ? :)
I’m currently building a ‘hot’ 1600 for the bug atm which ignition wise it will get a German Bosch 009 with points but painted blue to look like a period 019 screamer 😅

Latest posts