Introducing....The EgoTrippin' bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgoTrippin

Reaction score
Before

PICT9856.jpg

After

DSC02488small.jpg

DSC02489small.jpg

DSC02498small.jpg

The wicked stance is all the work of Monkeyspinner, and it looks even better than I thought it ever would. It runs and drives great, and have just put a few hundred miles of early bay driving under my belt going down to RTTS this weekend.
Thanks to Mr Stumpy for all the help and hospitality in Cornwall over the weekend, and to speedwell68 and Clem for the final touches to the Westy interior that's soon to be installed.
Can't wait till the next show now!

DSC02499small.jpg

Your bus is a very forceful arguement against anyone that thinks stock buses look better than lowered buses on alloys - it looks fantastic and is a credit to you... very, very nice looking ride there (and the 'EarlyBay' sticker hasn't gone unnoticed either 8) )

What size tyres did you go with?

;)

just thought i better ad this pics as you can't really see the lovely faded roof on the other pics very well...

69tran4.jpg

tyres are 175/55 on the front and 185/60 on the rear so as not to mess the already low gearing up too much...

more before pics on this thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1375&highlight=

I love this bus, it's really inspired me to get my 67 Westy on the road for Europe :)

glad your digging it too Steve :D

Now that's what I call coooooooooool 8) 8) 8)

Those wheels are well smart - good one my son :wink:

Thanks for the comments guys.

The wheels are JGE Torkers, which needed 10mm spacers to clear the drums as the spokes turn in towards the drum quite a lot. JGE said they had never been fitted to an early bay before so it was a bit of a risk getting them considering the deadline we had, but also good because there aren't that many buses running them.
The beam is a split bus beam which is narrower anyway, with dropped spindles.
I'll let Monkeyspinner confirm what a lowering job like this costs. I'll just say that its certainly worth it.

very smart van 8) :D

amazing what a lowering job and set of alloys can do innit :)

THE EGO` HAS LANDED wicked bus mate defo hook up for some shows son ,you doing Van fest, 8)

I'm doing a few shows this year Grazy - next one is Deva I reckon. VW Action, Vanfest, Peppercorn, Beachbuggin', Brighton Breeze. Should keep me busy. :D

Good to meet you, and lovely van!

Lucky its now so low even shortarses like me can check that cool roof out no problem!

8)

68only said:
How narrow is the beam? Does it have bay drop spindles on it as well?

It's a CB performance 2" narrowed split bus beam with late split trailing arms and dropped king and link spindles... still retains the Bay front brakes and drums though as apart from the inner bearing seal they are the same. the adjusters on the beam are at full height so you keep standard height ride quality. there are so many benefits from going this method if you want to go low. i can list them if you like when i have more time

Tim.

Thanks for that Tim,
this is exactly what I have planned for my '68 deluxe, except for Randar wheels. I have all the parts, but need to build the beam and spindles still. I am undecided between 2 or 3 inch narrowing though.

Don't go to low 68 as it will start to look like a Reliant Robin :lol:

gninnam said:
Don't go to low 68 as it will start to look like a Reliant Robin :lol:

you mean too narrow??

i personally don't like the over narrowed look, i like to get the tryes so they just clear the inside of the box section on the inner arch area. that is where the maximum clearance is for the tryes which as far as i'm concerned is the reason for narrowng in the first place.

i would recomend doing a lot of measuring and working out where your tyres will sit, obviously you need to know the exact offset oy the wheels your going to use. on Ego 69... because of a wheel order(or more delivery) cock up we had to change wheel choice at the last minute and because of the shape of the spokes on the torkers we had to use a 10mm spacer all round. this messed up all my calculations slightly but there are still no clearance problems so it's ok. slight machining of the drums would mean the spacers could be removed and the wheels would then fit exactly where i intended them too...

Latest posts