Iron filings in the oil!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch71bay

Reaction score
Before I removed the engine for my van to have a paint job it seemed to be running fine, although this is my first ever bus so I'm not totally sure what it should run like!!
Anyway, it's a 1600 twin port. On dropping the oil to change it and clean the filter there was a fair amount of iron filings amongst the horrible black oil that had obviously not been changed in a fair while!!
Is this something I should be really concerned about? Or is this normal wear and tear to be expected?

it could be nothing to worry about but personally i would worry, where they gold coulored (bearings) or steel coulored (something else).

Any fillings in an engine are bad as they will run round in the oil system and can block oil ways,

where the filings caught by the filter in the sump.

Without seeing it its going to be hard to be certain, since some metallic particles, particularly if the oil has not been changed for a time/filter not cleaned, is normal.

Check the end float of the crankshaft.

If that checks out ok and there's no knocking from the engine/oil pressure ok then it's likely just the stuff that collects over time from things like the camshaft gear.

There was iron filings around the oil filler which were obviously blown up there towards the breather. Some obviously in the filter. But hardly any in the actual oil I drained out. The oil was really old too! My engine at the min is complete as a turn key engine, can I check end float whilst ts like this? If yes how do I do that? Also once the engine goes back in is it best to run a flush of oil through the engine I presume?

To check end float you should use a dial gauge but as a rough rule of thumb, for a quick check, you can do this. Pull and push the crankshaft in and out by the flywheel and/or pulley. Don't lever the pulley or you may bend it. On a good engine there should be no discernable movement. If you can feel a little movement or hear a slight clunk its probably ok but if you can see any movement then it's significantly worn and needs attention.

Are you really sure the particles by the oil filler are metallic?

Metallic particles around the oil filler would suggest that a previous owner blew a piston or dropped a valve through one and then did a botch repair by not cleaning out the engine properly.

Iron filings seem very unlikely - check with a magnet. More likely its ally.

Ill run a magnet over them, to check.
I had already try'd to pull the flywheel as I thought that was how you checked end float! There wasn't any movement at all. So that's something positive lol!!

Fletch71bay said:
Ill run a magnet over them, to check.
I had already try'd to pull the flywheel as I thought that was how you checked end float! There wasn't any movement at all. So that's something positive lol!!

Ah thats good news :)

Latest posts