Is a spare wheel essential for an MOT pass?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
As above really.

I have decided not to carry a spare (I know, I know...) but was wondering if anybody knows what the MOT requirements are. Do I need to pop my spare back on board for the MOT and, if so, does it have to be restrained (I have made better use of the wheel well)?

Anybody? Cheers.

Kev

No requirement. Many new cars dont even get one these days. :D

I don't believe it is a requirement for the MOT. You may already know this but I decided not to carry a spare and promptly had a blow out on the motorway. The breakdown cover wouldn't cover me as the vehicle was originally fitted with a spare. The best they would do is give me a number for one of the roadside tyre people. Quite an expensive decision on my part!

Very helpful, thanks lads.

The risk of that expensive blow out is real, for sure, and although I do carry one of those new-fangled puncture repair/inflater things that modern cars come equipped with instead of a spare, I realise that will be useless for a blow-out. I am sort of committed to that risk...you sense me having doubts though :roll: .

Good to know that I don't have to 'fit' the spare for the MOT though. I have still got it, it just looked so damned ugly on my roof, and took up too much space inside.

I am still stroking my chin on whether to carry it on M-Way journeys.

Cheers.

KevH said:
I am still stroking my chin on whether to carry it on M-Way journeys.

Cheers.

If your tyres are over 6 years old I would, if not, only if you're going to lumber yards or scrappies- places where you're likely to find screws and bits of scrap metal on the floor.

I know this wouldn`t help for a mahoosive blow out, as I`m sure you`re aware neither will what you have. However if you check your tyres a little more periodically than the mot, then you shouldn`t really have too much of an issue unless as Senor Happy Stamps says if you go where little busses shouldn`t really go :shock: . What I`ve done a little differently, is having my tyres reworked with Kevlar as a permanent anti puncture solution, and loads of visual inspections to go with it :? well a few maybe :roll: This is indeed working in line with my experiment in immortality :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, So far,,,,,,,,,,,,, So good!! :lol: 8) :shock: 8) :lol:

Spare is not needed for mot but if one is in the van when you mot it then it is subject to the same checks as all other tyres.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Whistler said:
I'm sure from a discussion on here before someone stated that it was in their small print of their insurance to carry a spare?

Was it the insurance ?? Or possibly the breakdown cover ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Not sure :mrgreen:

Whistler said:
Ooooo good point! Not sure now actually :lol:

What about if you have breakdown cover as part of your insurance... :?

I had it with breakdown cover. I tried with one provided with insurance and also one included with my bank account

Latest posts