Is it my coil? solved!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattie

Reaction score
Ok today's task was an easy one just wire up my new rev counter.
Every thing was fine all wired up as normal.
I took the coil off the tin ware to just check the + from the- put it back together went to start the engine and it will only crank not fire it looks like it has no spark when I checked.
It has an electronic ignition.
Any information would be very useful.

maybe you knocked a wire of the coil or cut of solenoid on the carb goota be something v simple you ant rebuilt the engine just moved the coil :lol:

I had this last week.Fitted my new carbs,put everything back on and wouldn't start.In the end took the dizzy out(electronic ignition one) and put the old points distributor back in and it fired up first time :-/ if you have a test light you can check the coil and the distributor.Make sure you have 12v feed to the + side of the coil(marked 15) with ign on.Then check the neg side(where your green points wire goes on a standard set up.It should be 0 volts and jump to 12v when the points open.if you have 12v constant on both sides of the coil as you turn the engine over then your dizzy is the problem.

Have you put the red and black cable from the electronic ignition on the wrong way round on the coil and blown it :?:
Done that recently myself :oops:

20130922_100545.jpg

I don't have the original points or a spare coil to try :?
It looks like it might have been getting a bit hot at some time.
But as far as I know the only thing I moved was the coil not any other wires.
It did stall the other day, been a little ruff running of late and has been using more fuel recently if that helps in a diagnosis.

For what it`s worth,, The king lead from the coil don`t look to be sat very well in the distributor, almost like it`s only half in. If you have an old or a spare plug, take a lead off the plug and just pop another plug into the lead ,, get someone to turn him over and see if it`s actually sparking. Try the leads one at a time and pull them off and wiggle them back on, but they do have to be put back in all the way, not just a bit.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If only it`s that simple. :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
For what it`s worth,, The king lead from the coil don`t look to be sat very well in the distributor, almost like it`s only half in. If you have an old or a spare plug, take a lead off the plug and just pop another plug into the lead ,, get someone to turn him over and see if it`s actually sparking. Try the leads one at a time and pull them off and wiggle them back on, but they do have to be put back in all the way, not just a bit.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If only it`s that simple. :mrgreen:

We have been getting no spark from that lead :roll:

Well had 5 minutes spare after work today and put a new bosch coil on still didn't start.
Luckily I got a new electronic ignition as well will try that in the morning if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.

Ok so had some expert help from Shane Ward of sws restorations
But after he went through everything!!

We finally found out what we believe was the problem just don't know how it happened.

20130928_070147.jpg

It has a very small crack. :?
With a tune up as well it only cost £30 :D

i still maintane that petronics are way too sensative you only have to shout too load and they fuck up and there to frikken dear :lol:

Just in case I got some points and a condenser as well. :lol:
The timing was well out and it was over fuelling.

Latest posts