Is my engine bay too hot?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete The Greek

Reaction score
Hi...advice needed please...the metal surround inside my engine bay seems to be getting a little too hot. How warm should it be in there please? Can barely keep my hand on large, flat metal panel in front of fan belt after journey of 20 mins or so. Guessing it's heat from exhaust but would appreciate ideas of things to check? (Have already renewed tubes running to heat exchangers.)
Regards...
Peter

Mine gts hot above the exhaust as you say although engine isn't too hot. I think this is just heat transfer from the standard exhaust pack to the metal surround above it.

Try the dipstick test though.

J

Hiya Pete, all that they say above is true ^^^ the holding the dipstick one especially :mrgreen: Nice to see you at Bristol Matey !! I guess I`ll see you next at the Castle ???? Might even be your turn to bring the Sailor Jerry this year ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Catch ya soon boy!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for advice....van is running well to be honest but will check dip stick this weekend after going for a burn. I am running a standard exhaust pack so could just be that.
Nice to hear from you Ozzie and good to see you at Bristol too! I'll have a couple of nights away from our new son which will be strange but a good chance to celebrate Dubs ATC with some Sailor J! Looking forward to it!!! (Think we only have Brains Bitter and Lambrini in this part of Wales but I'll see what I can get my hands on! :D )

Quick question?
When you say hold the dipstick, do you mean the handle or the actual part that's in the oil?
If it's the oil end, do you leave the oil on or off?
I'm only asking, as it seems odd to grab an oil covered dipstick that's probably at +100degC.
Cheers Nige....

Handle Nige. Just checked mine and although hot, could still handle it and pull it out as well.

The idea being,,,, if you can`t pull your stick out because it`s too hot,,,, then you know for sure that you is overheating, even after a run, you should be able to comfortably pull out your dipstick. :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, As tastefully said as possible, ;) :mrgreen: ;)

i went for a spin towing a trailer up a bas***d hill with the thought that if can get up that then going to Devon loaded should be ok.
When i got back i was able to pull the dipstick out only just mind and i could not grab it tight until about 10 secs of it being out.
Timing set spot on 7.5btdc idle vac hose off n plugged on a accuspark dissy with lecy points in a 1600 tp,valve clearances set from cold and carb (34 pict 3 vw solex) set as per vw resource thread.

so am i running too hot??it is a new engine which i have just finished the 500mile run in period so i guess it would run hotter am i correct??also towing a trailer would that make it run hotter??
will pull a plug and check the colour but when i last looked two weeks ago it was a tan colour.

so what is the general thought on that??

regards.

sharky.

i dropped down to 30 mph then put into third then dropped to 20 then grabbed second and that is where i stayed til the top,guessing about 5mins bottom to top.
round trip just shy of 30miles put trailer back on drive unhitched (van still running)then put van in garage switched off then reached for the dipstick,oooooooooohhhhhh hot potatoe.

I'd have a look at what your timing is at at max advance. i put an accuspark in mine a while ago - same set up and set to 28-30 max advance and let idle fall wherever. Looking at several resources on the net it would appear that some of these dizzys even become slightly retarded at idle, but then pull in correctly as revs rise..

Mate, you left it ticking over after a hard slog, I would expect the temp rose in those conditions. Better idea would be to get back, turn off the engine and hold the dippy and see then. Heat is subjective though. My mum has asbestos fingers...

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk