Is there a 1968 one year only list of the different parts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a steering lock in mine - I think that they're 68 specific to fit the 68 specific housing.

I thought my steering lock was broken but now I've got all the ignition stripped down its appears to be non existent.

Even though the lock looks like it's got a lock,

6E18D570-9147-4251-80F0-0FD1FC84C1E6_zpse1ogtxf7.jpg

And the steer tube has the slot,

6D30F9AB-73D8-457F-8EB2-D450D3B2D35F_zpsucyysxia.jpg

The steer shaft doesn't have anything to lock into :?:

(Top ones 68 bottom ones 71 for comparison)

E8CB9863-ECCD-4E9C-BCA0-D83752198F69_zpsq41y0piz.jpg

I know bits may have been swapped down the years but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Also I've never seen these before apart from on this 68, are they one year only? Or just missing on all the other dashes I've taken apart :lol:

A15E93A1-99F9-4A3D-A496-B3E44C89ED06_zpsrshcfnop.jpg

looks like some one has striped out steering lock,it should have one,inner column is differant on a 68 to a 71 cos the bit the lock catches on is at a differant hight on the shaft.the end bits for the dash are there on all earlys.

this will just be a list of all the bits missing on my van :( lol

67panel said:
looks like some one has striped out steering lock,it should have one,inner column is differant on a 68 to a 71 cos the bit the lock catches on is at a differant hight on the shaft.the end bits for the dash are there on all earlys.

I don't have a lock on mine either. Same steering shaft without any recess in it to allow the lock to goes in.

Neither of my 68 westies have steering wheel locks. The gas filler neck doors do not have any sort of lock or evidence of one being removed. One was built in 67, the other sometime in the spring of 68. My pair of 70s and my 71 also do not have any indication of a gas door lock.

The emblems on the cluster around the gas gauge for the lights, etc. are different in a 68 vs. other early bays.

Mine has a petrol flap lock but I think this was added by a PO, who couldn't be bothered to replace the spring, as it doesn't look original.

Barkafer said:
Thanks for the replies fellas! Lets get the list started then!
Here goes,
1. Wiper arms have a pinch bolt, motor is different?

Motor is the same as a 71 as I had to change mine today... Lots of smoke :shock:

I believe the steering column brace to the dash is 68 only from a recent ad on TS?
Possibly early 69?
Apparently it has only one fixing hole at the dash end as opposed to two for the later yrs?
Can anyone with an early 69 confirm this?
Keep it going fellas :lol:

VW's own Parts Book confirms this:
211 415 601 E = Bracket - steering column tube to chassis # 219 300 000.
211 415 601 F = Bracket - steering column tube from chassis # 210 2000 001.

I think I have found another. :party0049:

The cross-section of chassis at the front, under the cab seats has two small holes for the hand-brake cables to go through, where as '70 onwards has an oval / slot.

'68
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%2008.55.09.png~original

'71
image.jpg1_zpsaxfwrknk.jpg

Not sure about '69 yet. :shadey:

Just thought of one, maybe , but body colour 1/4 light bars or is that panels only?

Hi guys, I'm new to the vw camper scene having recently bought a right hand drive 1968 early bay. Having taken it for a MOT, rust on the floor under the accelerator pedal was discovered and advised to be welded. Having ordered a quarter panel from Alan Scofields, I discovered the the accelerator floor hole in the new panel is about 20cm below where my accelerator hole sits. Also, one offset grove is closer on the new panel than on my original floor. Anyone come across this difference before?

Is the complete dash a 68 only part?

Just to add, I'm fairly sure the sliding door release mech is 68 only...

Tony73tt said:

No, and no parts of the sliding door mechanisms are '68 only.

vwed said:
Tony73tt said:

No, and no parts of the sliding door mechanisms are '68 only.

I`ve seen quite a few differences in sliding door locks, not sure if it`s a different year thing or a different countries thing, or an application thing like a bus versus a panel van versus whatever. Alright Ed ? :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Or just a VW thing :mrgreen:

There are (for example) 12 different remote control locks for the Bay window production run. They vary according to year, LHD or RHD and model eg Panel versus Microbus. However none are '68 only.

Latest posts