Just Kampers - Steering wheel issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintop

Reaction score
Hi all

My original steering wheel was looking rather tired and all the shiny had come off so everytime i drove it my hands were covered ins ome black sustance.

So i purchase a replacement from Just Kamper £100 at the end of 2009, the wheel has cracked all the way through and has cracking stress marks where the two arms meet the outer rim on the wheel. :(

The van has only done about 3000 miles since fitting it so i contacted JK in the hope that they would help. How niave am i!!!!

I discussed the fact the wheel had only had little use and shouldn't have done this after a few thousand miles and i thought it must be a faulty one. I acknowledged it is now 2 years old and asked what my options were. I was advised it was out of warranty and therefore they wouldn't do anything.

Not happy with this response i pressed on and explained i had bought £1000 of pounds of parts from them and i had been happy with their products, service and as a valuable customer would they help.

Again - No we are not willing to do anything, i was told. I advised them i would be purchasing my products from elsewhere going forward.

This is not right!!! Customer service, ha! :cry:

Do i have a faulty wheel or has anyone else had a similar experience with their steering wheels. My concern is i have children and am very concerned about the steering wheel cracking and how dangerous this is.

Word of warning to all becareful what you buy and where from cheap is not always good!

I have learnt another lesson in life.

PS. does anyone know where i can get my hands on a genuine steering wheel in decent condition?

phone your local trading standards office,goods have to be "fit for purpose",depends how you define purpose :msn4:

Try another call, ask to speak to a Manager or Supervisor. 2 years is out of initial warranty so anything they do will probably be on a goodwill basis. Original uncracked steering wheels are harder to find every year and nos ones are like hens teeth.
To be fair, surface cracking probably wont be dangerous per se, but understandably not acceptable. If you cant find a good original/repro, maybe try a good quality after market steering wheel, like a woodrim style.

I think buying a chuff aftermarket part and having to suck it up is part of the passage of rights of camper ownership, but good luck getting sorted. :)

moral issues aside, you are unlikely to be entitled to a replacement after a 2 year period of use (no matter how many times you have actually used it)

try speaking to a supervisor and see if they can offer a gesture of goodwill (try pushing for a discount on a new one, in my experience emphasising your disappointment with the product can sometimes get you somewhere!)

(this is 5 years of customer service experience talking, I was always happy to offer discounts to resolve customer complaints :lol: )

Heritage have one in stock @ £102.95,

5% discount for early bay members + 5% extra makes the 10% december discount, makes it a very nice price.

Part ID: 211-415-615/C

Ask for Alex when you call :mrgreen:

as mentioned above trading standards should be dropped in to the next conversation you have with JK

a warranty is one thing but "fit for purpose" does go a canny long way depending on the product, and i dont think for one minute you can honestly say a steering wheel should only last 3k or two years :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

go get em tiger! :msn4: :msn4:

I have now had two wheels from just kampers, both have now cracked.

here was my thread from said site http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you all.

I will contact them again tomorrow and ask for a supervisor/manager. Not sure if i want a replacement from them!

When i said cracked, i do mean split 1 to 2mm gap all the way through and i can see the metal ring inside.

I do think this is unacceptable for a steering wheel to last such a short space of time, especially with such little use.

I had a similar thing with Custom & Commercial over a clutch pressure plate. Got told I had fitted it wrong ( I'm an HGV mechanic btw ) and basically to piss off!

oh come on.2 year old repro part> what do you expect? The reson its so cheap in the first place is that its made in some chinese sweat shop.Spend some time researching genuine parts and trading standards after 2 years.....c`mon

I got my free replacement wheel from Just Kampers on friday. This is the third one I've had, so hopefully this one will not crack.

Thank you mpop for the contact details.

Great news :D , after sending through pictures of the broken steering wheel the manager of JKs customer services contacted me, he has sent me a new replacement steering wheel and apologies for the problem.

Thank you JK.

Latest posts