Knocking Noise - Steering!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydave

Reaction score
Hi there -

I've been puuting up with a few knocking noises from the front of my 71 bay. The main one that's annoying me is when i wiggle the steering wheel from left to right i get a knocking noise which seems to come from the steering box.

On closer inspection if i pull on the drag link (side to side) the box knocks so i thought i'd have a go at adjusting it!

I've only every adjusted a bug one so i did it the same as that - wheels up, loosten nut, turn wheel 90 deg. then fingertip pressure until i feel it tighten up then turn 180 the other way and do the same! But, after doing this i have a tight spot in the middle of the wheel movement!!

Now i wonder if the box is knackered but have read about the shims in the lower end plate - what happens if i add or remove one of these or am i doing something wrong on the adjustment???

I have loostened it off to the point of not sticking in the middle but i am still getting the knocking noise but there is still 1-2" of freeplay and the steering is quite stiff??

I have replaced the front beam, arms, ball joints, drag link, fixed track rod etc...

I am also getting some clanking noises when hitting bumps and i don't know whether this is my shocks but one thing at a time eh!!

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave ..

Mines doing the exact same thing ... with the exact same results from adjustment ..

.. mines gonna get a replacement steering box over the winter ..

I think the noise on mine is due to the bearing that carried the side arm spindle cos if i grab it and shake it I get the same knocking noise ..

When i tighten mine up i just get a tight spot in the centre of the steering span ... which to me suggests uneven wear in the box, hence repalcement ..

.. although I will quite happily stand corrected!

Hilly

Same issue here. However the Bentley manual says when adjusting the steering gearbox after rebuild

"Using the torque gauge, turn the worm spindle back and forth through its centrepoint. Gradually tighten the adjusting screw until it requires approximately 24 cmkg (21 in. lb) to turn the steering through the central pressure point"

It would seem from that statement that there is a "tight" spot in the middle of the travel. The figure for the torque is reduced 7-9in. lbs on a steering box that has done over 3000 miles.

Thanks for the replies - i have been out again but with no luck as it's still knocking in and out (that is the bit that the drag link attaches to!)

Looks like i'm gonna have to try and find a new box from somewhere but as they are like hen's teeth i'm probably gonna have trouble!

I'm wondering if anyone supplies them on exchange or failing that has anyone got a spare steering box that ain't fubar'ed or anyone know of a supplier that does em at a reasonable price??

Cheers Dave

http://www.power-steering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

160+vat to rebuild your box pm Strongy for details

Cheers for that - do you know if they do exchange as my bus is my daily and can't be off the road for a long time!!

I suppose i'll pm him to get more info eh!

Am sure i read on here somewhere recently that Mega-bug offer this service as well and did a good job. http://www.megabug.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah - i've been trawling through the usual supects and recon boxes are going between £250 and £350 plus surcharge!!!

Ouch - you would think that someone would develop a replacement for the 'old style' box like CE have done with the rack and pinion steering for splits!!

Oh well - my search goes on...................

Volksheaven do rebuilt boxes from some they have no new parts and not strictly recond but a good solid box, I think sub 100

CE do do an R+P for the bay but not cheap

I have a Recon box from Mega Bug...better than th eOG one but not £290 better.

Nobody makes the parts to recon properly so they will never be back to OG standards.

CE R and P one looks good and I am discussing with them the possibility of one for very low buses. £600+ though.

Thanks guys - I'll have to look into the CE one's as i didn't know they did those for the bay!!

I'm looking into a couple of options - either give a couple of cheap one's a go but i don't want to bite myself and go through the trouble of installing another knackered box!!

Cheers Dave

Give Strongy a PM he was well impressed with his recon. see how hes getting on with it........

the company also do a powered steering option but thats close on 1.5K I think

I'll pm him - i'm trying to get hold of a cheap box to send off so my bus isn't off the road as it's my daily!

Power steering - that would be a luxury and i'd be able to get the missus to drive!!! Shame i ain't got that kind of dough :roll:

Cheers Dave

My friend Dave has just started rebuilding boxes for early bay only, he is in Coventry and can be reached on 07957 146 969. He did the boxes on 2 buses I sold him, they are incredible, steering is one finger when standing still. He found a source for some of the parts as needed. It's a secret! I'm sending him rebuildable cores in the next bus coming over.

He used to work for Cosworth on their Formula 1 cars, he's a brilliant mechanic.

aogrady said:
My steering is knocking too - and with MOT in Jan, looks like i will be ringing too!! :roll:

Alistair

He's as friendly as they come, wish he was here to rebuild my type 4 motors!!! He does LHD and RHD boxes, no problem.

Latest posts