Leaky front panel - causes and solutions please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
:( argh, after spending a wad of cash getting rid of rust to the lower quarters, my front panel is leaking in!

It seems to be pouring in through the upper front panel behind the dash - see the photos below.

What is the cause (as from the outside it looks ok) and what would be the solution please!?

Is it coming from around the wiper spindles?
Only other area would be the screen.
Mine dripped on the wifes foot travelling home after the Bank holiday weekend...and it hadn't rained for several days.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I think it’s above the wiper spindles where that crusty metal is. It seems to be along that seam. Would new window rubbers fix it or welding in a new window piece?

Usually it’s around the screen rubber. Have a little look firstly for rust bubbles, and just one is too many. Second port of call has to be the rubber and it’s condition, if it all looks good then gently lift the rubber from the metalwork and use something plastic and wide like a plastic scraper and have a look nderneath. Thirdly a very fine watercan and try and prove exactly where it’s getting in, so start low down and work your way up an£ around the screen rubber. I make a home made water can / pistol. I use an old milk plastic carton and stick a tiny hole in it with the end of a biro. I use the case of a biro that has a screw off top at the end, and I use the male thread to screw my new “””spout””” into the upper part of the carton. Fill with water and replace the lid. Now squirt water on the lowest points of the rubber to metal abutment and do a few inches at a time, do the whole of the bottom edge then move the the top part of the same chunk of rubber at the rubber to glass abutment, then do both sides of the rubber on each of the vertical, then do the top both sides of the rubber. Keep checking every inch or so or every couple of inches for the leaks. A nice dusting of Talcum powder helps show where the leak is starting too. Also check the sa e on the front air box and wiper spindles if you suspect them.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, leaks can test your patience :mrgreen:

I had a similar issue after fitting new washer jets during my build. They were off eBay, but cheap and nasty ... I bought a second set (dearer ones, reputable supplier) and that sorted that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts